easy; relaxing; cosy; financially well to do
inanimate
hard
upcoming
comfortable

What is the difference between "must" and "have to"?

Why "put up" is not cinsidered as a viable option here? | difference between the use of site and place
What is the difference between "must" and "have to"? #1 (permalink) Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:22 pm   What is the difference between "must" and "have to"?

Test No. incompl/elem-7 "Modals", question 5

Do you ......... clean the house every day or every week?

(a) must
(b) have
(c) have to

Test No. incompl/elem-7 "Modals", answer 5

Do you have to clean the house every day or every week?

Correct answer: (c) have to

Do you must clean the house every day or every week?
_________________________

Why it is so?

Solovey
Solovey

Must #2 (permalink) Mon Nov 22, 2004 14:33 pm   Must

When we use the modal verb must in a question we don't need the auxiliary verb (help verb) do/does.

For example:
Must you speak so loudly? Can't you see I'm working?

TOEIC listening, talks: Voice mail announcement

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
What is the difference between "must" and "have to"? #3 (permalink) Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:01 am   What is the difference between "must" and "have to"?

"must" can not use "do"
and
"have to" can use "do"

Am i right??
Lisa_Mard

Location: Indonesia

What is the difference between "must" and "have to"? #4 (permalink) Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:59 am   What is the difference between "must" and "have to"?

Yes Lisa, you are right.

TOEIC listening, photographs: The gondolier

What is the difference between "must" and "have to"? #5 (permalink) Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:31 am   What is the difference between "must" and "have to"?

Hi Torsten,

In test #7, I got 9 out 10 because I carelessly missed answering #8. Although I answered all of nine questions correctly, but I can't explain why. It sounded right to me. That's how I would normally speak. I would like to learn more about the modals. Please let know where I can learn more about it. I don't have a specific question but would like to know more about other modals. Thank you.

Tiffany
Tiffanyenglish

Location: USA, Ca

What is the difference between "must" and "have to"? #6 (permalink) Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:25 am   What is the difference between "must" and "have to"?

Can you show me the differences between " must" and " have to"?
Thanks for your help!
Lanhuong

What is the difference between "must" and "have to"? #7 (permalink) Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:16 am   What is the difference between "must" and "have to"?

Sure, please read this: "must" vs "have to"

And this: use 'must or have to'

And this: Modal verbs: must/have to

TOEFL listening lectures: What is one problem with contribution approach?

What is the difference between "must" and "have to"? #8 (permalink) Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:32 am   What is the difference between "must" and "have to"?

Dear Torsten,

I did the exercises on elementary 7,I got correct scores 9 out of 10 .Since ,I confused to use Have instead of Had .
I also read explanation of a few sentences thoughly concerning a using of ouxilaries verbs Must and Have to .In your phrases have posted ,its saying that in the question it doesn't need "do" using with Must ,except " Have to" .
Now I'm sure to undrestand them.
I have to show my appreciation on your clear explanation.

Regarsd
savath
Sroth

Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia

What is the difference between "must" and "have to"? #9 (permalink) Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:27 am   What is the difference between "must" and "have to"?

Dear Torsten,

In test #7, I got 8 out 10. Although I answered all of eight questions correctly, but I can't explain why. It sounded right to me. That's how I would normally speak. I would like to learn more about the modals. Please let know where I can learn more about it. and also my confidence level is very low can you please suggest me how to improve.........

Bheemaiah
Bheemaiah

Must and have to or have got to #10 (permalink) Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:24 am   Must and have to or have got to

Dear Torsten,

I'm very gratitude for your admanistration of the Must and Have to or Have got to in detail.When I clicked on the HERE, it's shown the ways to use them including many examples that make me sense of it furthermore.
As my notice on that points,the different thing between Must and Have to are that Must can not be used with the Auxelaries verb do or does for interogative, but Have to can be.Must expresses the decision is necesary, but it has not the form of future and past.The past form of the Must is Had to.

Best regards

Savath
Sroth

Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia

What is the difference between "must" and "have to"? #11 (permalink) Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:13 pm   What is the difference between "must" and "have to"?

must in the question form dont need auxilary verb
AlinowalI

Re: What is the difference between "must" and "have to"? #12 (permalink) Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:21 am   Re: What is the difference between "must" and "have to"?

yes, i understood you. thannks
Alushilindi

What is the difference between "must" and "have to"? #13 (permalink) Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:50 am   What is the difference between "must" and "have to"?

What is the problem with the "have"?
Brother1

What is the difference between "must" and "have to"? #14 (permalink) Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:27 am   What is the difference between "must" and "have to"?

Use of 'have' is not possible without adding 'to':
'Do you have clean the house?' - incorrect
Do you have to clean the house? - correct
_________________

Your little girl usually cries to get her way...Why stands instead of calm?Synonyms like the verbs: deal, manage, handle, copeWhy can't I use "appeared in our home" here?Waiting outside in the car? Or "around in the car"?Diffrence between another and "the other"After vs. laterDifference between yet and stillMeaning of "There's no point"To bite the dustBeginning vs. BeginI daren't thinkDifference between listen and hear