up to the time which
whereas
however
until
yet

I listened attentively

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Which vs. who | Meaning of "At any time whatsoever"
I listened attentively #1 (permalink) Mon Nov 22, 2004 15:31 pm   I listened attentively

Test No. incompl/elem-4 "Listen/Hear", question 2

I ......... attentively to the lecture on philosophy but I still didn't understand much of it.

(a) heard
(b) listened
(c) was hearing
(d) was listen

Test No. incompl/elem-4 "Listen/Hear", answer 2

I listened attentively to the lecture on philosophy but I still didn't understand much of it.

Correct answer: (b) listened

I was listen attentively to the lecture on philosophy but I still didn't understand much of it.
_________________________

when can i use the pass simple and imperfect one?
dany

Simple past #2 (permalink) Mon Nov 22, 2004 15:41 pm   Simple past

Hi Dany,

The option you chose is wrong because the combination I was listen doesn't exist in the English language.
In the given context you clearly have to choose I listened - as you know that's Simple Past which we use to describe an action that took place once or several times in the past.
For more information on how to use the tenses you can study the information in grammar book or English course book - there you will find plenty of examples. Also, if you read texts in English and take some time analyzing the structure and use of the tenses you will find that's really rather simple. There are quite a limited number of possible combinations - most of the patterns occur over and over again. It helps tremendously if you read some sample sentences out loud several times in a row. That's much more effective than trying to cram all the grammar rules into your head.

TOEIC listening, talks: Announcing the retirement of a company's president

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Simple past #3 (permalink) Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:52 am   Simple past

hey,
i think i can help a bit on this. we can genaralize the differnt tenses in past tense as:

simple past: subject + past form of the verb

past continuous: subject + was/were + ing form of the verb

past perfect: subject + had + past perfect form of the verb

past perfect continuous: subject + had + been + ing form of the verb

hope this clarifies your doubt on the structure of the tense.
appu

Past tense #4 (permalink) Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:00 am   Past tense

hey,
the above generalisation works only for active voice and it's different for the passive voice.
the generalisation really works when you are in doubt the structure of a sentence.

good luck..

listen vs hear #5 (permalink) Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:36 am   listen vs hear

Hearing is a natural phenomenon when ear receives information effortlessly whereas,
listening is a process when brain is put to conceive it. it means, listening is hearing attentively.

Then why the answer 'listened' is followed by 'attentively'?
Rishi070

I listened attentively #6 (permalink) Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:30 am   I listened attentively

The combination "to hear attentively" is usually not used in English because you can't "receive sound attentively". When you hear something, you don't need to do anything because you are "at the receiving end". Why you listen to something you try to understand what is being said so you are making an effort. That's why the expression to listen attentively makes sense while to hear attentively doesn't.

Let me know what you think.

TOEIC listening, photographs: In the garden

Hi Torsten, #7 (permalink) Mon Oct 06, 2008 15:55 pm   Hi Torsten,

Thanks a lot for the answer.

Since 'hearing' is a voluntary process we don't hear attentively. Contrary to this, when we pay our heed, we start listening. So, 'listen attentively' is correct.

Got it. thanks.(':D')
Rishi070

I listened attentively #8 (permalink) Sat Apr 25, 2009 18:38 pm   I listened attentively

Thank you so much all you guys for helping :-) . Marisol
Maxisol

I listened attentively #9 (permalink) Tue May 12, 2009 8:30 am   I listened attentively

Thank you.Now it is clear to me where I can use listen and where hear.
Kfmridula

I listened attentively #10 (permalink) Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:13 am   I listened attentively

hi,teacher
listen : mean we have an intension
hear : mean we don't have an intension
are they right?
Hoalucbinh

I listened attentively #11 (permalink) Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:37 am   I listened attentively

(a) heard
(b) listened
(c) was hearing
(d) was listen

Correct answer: (b) listened

_________________________

Hi Mr Torsten
In my case, I choose (a)heard as my answer

I really confuse about listen and hear
Coud you give me some information about the different of listen and hear ?
when I must use listen and when I must use hear in the sentence

Thank you very much
Pmanassord

Location: Indonesia

I listened attentively #12 (permalink) Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:44 am   I listened attentively

As Torsten has already said above, 'listen' is a planned, intended activity. 'Listening' means we are consciously paying attention to the sound; we initiate the effort to listen to a sound. 'Hear' is a reflex action; hearing comes upon us, we do not initiate it. We simply can or cannot hear something-- it depends on outside sources (the sound is too low to hear, for example).

In this test question, the word 'attentively', as well as the context (a student at a lecture), makes it clear that 'listened' is the appropriate choice.
_________________

I listened attentively #13 (permalink) Fri Apr 02, 2010 20:14 pm   I listened attentively

Hi Mr Torsten,

In above sentence instead of simple past can we use past continuous ?

I was listening attentively to the lecture on philosophy but I still didn't understand much of it.

Is this correct?
Hellofriend

Simple past #14 (permalink) Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:45 am   Simple past

Hi Teacher,
Why can't chose was hearing
Can you tell me how to use past veb+ing? thank you!

correct sentence:

Correct answer: (b) listened

your sentence:
I was hearing attentively to the lecture on philosophy but I still didn't understand much of it.

Eva
Imyobi1983

I listened attentively #15 (permalink) Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:13 am   I listened attentively

I am eager to know, why is it incorrect: I was listening attentively to the lecture on philosophy but I still didn't understand much of it.
Tymchuksvet

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The function of 'Beginning'???folders created automaticallyHanding down all her clothes?meaning of grateConvey vs. moveDifference between appearance and apparitionMeaning of 'try me'Why is correct "She must be very healthy"?"How are you doing?" vs. "How do you do?"Names of countriesDifference between interrupt and interfereFrench vs. the FrenchI listened attentively, page 4