Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

item; object; piece of text; paragraph of a contract
craft
litter
circumstance
article
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

How can I learn phrases, idioms and expressions with 'make' and 'do'?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
See the dentist and go to (the) hospital | What is the meaning of chives?
listening exercises
How can I learn phrases, idioms and expressions with 'make' and 'do'? #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 05, 2006 13:53 pm   How can I learn phrases, idioms and expressions with 'make' and 'do'?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #92 "Using Make and Do (2)", question 4

She suddenly realized that she only had a few days left on her vacation so she decided to ......... the most of it.

(a) make
(b) do
(c) made
(d) did

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #92 "Using Make and Do (2)", answer 4

She suddenly realized that she only had a few days left on her vacation so she decided to make the most of it.

Correct answer: (a) make

Your answer was: incorrect
She suddenly realized that she only had a few days left on her vacation so she decided to do the most of it.

Hi,

why is here "make" if you have to use "do" in sentence like "I'll do Europe in 2 weeks?"

thanks
jana
jana s.

Do/make #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 05, 2006 14:04 pm   Do/make

Hi Jana,

There are many uses of do and make to be found in idioms and so you cannot really give a logical explanation of an idiomatic expression. I'm afraid you just have to learn them. If you like, you could look at some material I've written for the site on these verbs:

ESL Lesson: Make or Do? (1)
ESL Lesson: Make or Do? (2)

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
How can I learn phrases, idioms and expressions with 'make' and 'do'? #3 (permalink) Sat Mar 14, 2009 14:20 pm   How can I learn phrases, idioms and expressions with 'make' and 'do'?

what does ''to make the most of it''mean in above sentence?
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

How can I learn phrases, idioms and expressions with 'make' and 'do'? #4 (permalink) Sat Mar 14, 2009 21:38 pm   How can I learn phrases, idioms and expressions with 'make' and 'do'?

Saneta wrote:
what does ''to make the most of it''mean in above sentence?

In this sentence, it means -- enjoy to the fullest.

See the dentist and go to (the) hospital | What is the meaning of chives?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Meaning of binding as related to English grammarExpression "talk or chat"Meaning of SEOWhat is the meaning of "sci-fi"?single vs. lonelyMaking mistakes when writing?literally vs accuratelyIt sounds a bit stange for me: 'Are you having...''deli section' vs 'produce section'Phrase: Passengers are required to produce appropriateIndustry-specific is a compound noun or different grammatical structure?What does 'a good point' mean?What does clock mean?