item; object; piece of text; paragraph of a contract
craft
litter
circumstance
article

How can I learn phrases, idioms and expressions with 'make' and 'do'?

See the dentist and go to (the) hospital | What is the meaning of chives?
How can I learn phrases, idioms and expressions with 'make' and 'do'? #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 05, 2006 13:53 pm   How can I learn phrases, idioms and expressions with 'make' and 'do'?

ESL/EFL Test #92 "Using Make and Do (2)", question 4

She suddenly realized that she only had a few days left on her vacation so she decided to ......... the most of it.

(a) make
(b) do
(c) made
(d) did

ESL/EFL Test #92 "Using Make and Do (2)", answer 4

She suddenly realized that she only had a few days left on her vacation so she decided to make the most of it.

Correct answer: (a) make

She suddenly realized that she only had a few days left on her vacation so she decided to do the most of it.
_________________________

why is here "make" if you have to use "do" in sentence like "I'll do Europe in 2 weeks?"

jana
jana s.

Do/make #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 05, 2006 14:04 pm   Do/make

Hi Jana,

There are many uses of do and make to be found in idioms and so you cannot really give a logical explanation of an idiomatic expression. I'm afraid you just have to learn them. If you like, you could look at some material I've written for the site on these verbs:

ESL Lesson: Make or Do? (1)
ESL Lesson: Make or Do? (2)

_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
How can I learn phrases, idioms and expressions with 'make' and 'do'? #3 (permalink) Sat Mar 14, 2009 14:20 pm   How can I learn phrases, idioms and expressions with 'make' and 'do'?

what does ''to make the most of it''mean in above sentence?

How can I learn phrases, idioms and expressions with 'make' and 'do'? #4 (permalink) Sat Mar 14, 2009 21:38 pm   How can I learn phrases, idioms and expressions with 'make' and 'do'?

Saneta wrote:

In this sentence, it means -- enjoy to the fullest.
_________________
First lesson - English, not english. I, not i. ~A student of English
Gray

Location: Proxima Centauri

Meaning of binding as related to English grammarExpression "talk or chat"Meaning of SEOWhat is the meaning of "sci-fi"?single vs. lonelyMaking mistakes when writing?literally vs accuratelyIt sounds a bit stange for me: 'Are you having...''deli section' vs 'produce section'Phrase: Passengers are required to produce appropriateIndustry-specific is a compound noun or different grammatical structure?What does 'a good point' mean?What does clock mean?