to oppose; to retaliate; to react; to strike back
suppose
certificate
counter
dictate

preposition at/on/in in the example How I got that job

Is "WAS" an intransitive verb here? | What is the meaning of the sew?
preposition at/on/in in the example How I got that job #1 (permalink) Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:58 am   preposition at/on/in in the example How I got that job

Dear Teachers,

Please, help me to understand the logic behind the usage of the following preposition in ", calmness in the face of difficult circumstances ". Why do we use 'in' here but not 'at'. If I understand correctly 'at' means and used to determine a specific time or location.

Thank you!
Annakrutitskaya

preposition at/on/in in the example How I got that job #2 (permalink) Tue Jun 04, 2013 15:55 pm   preposition at/on/in in the example How I got that job

"In the face of" is a set expression. It means "despite". You have to consider it as a whole (and not as a set of words).
.
All in all, you cannot explain why "in" is used here and not "at".
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Out on bail?Meaning of "their side for certain cervical levels"?When to use annouce in stead of said?When I get the wrong answer I want you show, and when I choose the right answerdifference between leave and departclosing vs. stopping a meetingUsage quit instead of leaveWhat does "likewise" mean?Meaning of "we mustn't leave it so long next time"Meaning of "let's shake on that"I don't know what time they'll be back this evening...Surely vs. safelyCome in for vs. come into