period of time that something continues
fee
adult
duration
removal

To put it another way VERSUS put another way

Phrase: Snow starts to melt in the spring | some question about foods and news
To put it another way VERSUS put another way #1 (permalink) Sun Oct 08, 2006 23:24 pm   To put it another way VERSUS put another way

Common Errors in English, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #12 "Latin Words", question 2

Are you in agreement with the new proposal or put it another way are you in flavour of it?

(a) in agreement
(b) proposal
(c) put
(d) in flavour

ESL/EFL Test #12 "Latin Words", answer 2

Are you in agreement with the new proposal or put it another way are you in favour of it?

Correct entry: in favour
The error was: (d) in flavour
_________________________

There is also a problem with put.
... proposal, or to put it another way, .... OR
... proposal, or put another way, ...

Kay
Kay LM

To put it another way VERSUS put another way #2 (permalink) Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:49 am   To put it another way VERSUS put another way

Hi Kay,

Both expressions are fine -- put it another way as well as put another way.

TOEIC listening, photographs: A walking frame

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
To put it another way VERSUS put another way #3 (permalink) Wed Sep 05, 2007 13:23 pm   To put it another way VERSUS put another way

.
It seems to me you may have missed Kay's point, Torsten. While I agree that "put it another way" would work as a separate (imperative) sentence, that's not what we have in the test sentence. In my opinion, the sentence needs to be edited so that it ends up worded one of these ways:

- "... or to put it another way..." (i.e. add the word 'to')
- "...or put another way ..." (i.e. delete the word 'it')

(These were Kay's suggestions, and I wholeheartedly agree with them.)

-OR-

- Possibly change the test sentence to multiple sentences so that "Put it another way" becomes or starts a new, separate sentence.

PS
I also agree with Kay's suggested use of commas, but I guess there's little hope of convincing the author of this particular test about a need for commas, is there? ;)
.
_________________

To put it another way VERSUS put another way #4 (permalink) Wed Sep 05, 2007 16:42 pm   To put it another way VERSUS put another way

Surely 'put it another way' in this sentence is not an imperative but an understood condition - if you put it another way.

_________________

To put it another way VERSUS put another way #5 (permalink) Wed Sep 05, 2007 17:28 pm   To put it another way VERSUS put another way

.
Well, Alan, all I can say is that obviously neither Kay nor I understood it that way. Judging by the way Kay wrote her post, I wouldn't be surprised if she is also a native speaker of English. Kay's suggestions would both be completely natural and correct, wouldn't they? The way the sentence currently stands only suggests "typo" to me. I realize that you don't like commas, but the dearth of punctuation really doesn't help anything either. That is my opinion and input for you.

I assume you agree that either of Kay's alternatives would be completely acceptable and correct.
.
_________________

Hello i new Member on this Forum #6 (permalink) Wed Jan 07, 2009 13:37 pm   Hello i new Member on this Forum

Hello, I'm new in this forum. I've been here a few months, read and think really interassante many topics. Now I decided to apologize to you to be notified. I hope I can contribute something.

-------------------
Greetz Christine
Dallara

Location: Spain

difference between "convince" and "persuade"meaning of beholdingWhat's the origin of "cant' cut a candle to ...?"what does begged mean?Phrase: Oh dear, I can see it.meaning of retractFive sentences about using nouns and pronouns...What does "go get the kettle on" mean?what is icicles?sow vs. harvestIs ecotourism and conservation compatible?'Let me know' vs 'Let me knowing'Particles in man-made smoke work as coagulation basis, so humidity in air can...