extra; supplemental
visible
additional
tight
outside

She's as mad as a hatter

straight answer vs. right answer | New kid on the block?
She's as mad as a hatter #1 (permalink) Fri Jul 19, 2013 17:54 pm   She's as mad as a hatter

Julie completely flipped out during her performance evaluation. She's as mad as a .........!

(a) hare
(b) boxer
(c) patient
(d) hatter

Julie completely flipped out during her performance evaluation. She's as mad as a hatter!

Correct answer: (d) hatter

Julie completely flipped out during her performance evaluation. She's as mad as a hare!
_________________________

please explain:
to flip out and to be as mad as a hatter.
thank you.

She's as mad as a hatter #2 (permalink) Fri Jul 19, 2013 18:53 pm   She's as mad as a hatter

To flip out = become enraged/go mad.
Mad as a hatter = mad ("as a hatter" is an intensifier) There was a character named The Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland, I guess it takes its origin from that story
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
She's as mad as a hatter #3 (permalink) Fri Jul 19, 2013 20:10 pm   She's as mad as a hatter

No, the origins are much earlier and possibly linked to the use of mercury in hat-making techniques:
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/mad-as-a-hatter.html
_________________

She's as mad as a hatter #4 (permalink) Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:38 am   She's as mad as a hatter

It is an idiom. Now I saw why sb is mad as a hatter and since when we use this idiom.
Wikipedia:In 18th and 19th century England mercury was used in the production of felt, which was used in the manufacturing of hats common of the time. People who worked in these hat factories were exposed daily to trace amounts of the metal, which accumulated within their bodies over time, causing some workers to develop dementia caused by mercury poisoning (called mad hatter syndrome). Thus, the phrase became popular as a way to refer to someone who was perceived as insane.
_________________

he was just skin and boneWhat does pass the buck mean?get on the trainWe all need to paddle our own canoe.back to the bullpenthe pedal to the metalShe needs to mind her own beeswax...Smooth sailingMeaning of "It's the cat's meow"What is the meaning of butted head?What does the idiom 'no dice' mean?Taking books to the librarian's daughter?what do all these options mean like i's and others?