to place in; to put in; to add to
attain
insert
vaccinate
earn

straight answer vs. right answer

Meaning of "fed up with" | She's as mad as a hatter
straight answer vs. right answer #1 (permalink) Thu Jul 25, 2013 17:20 pm   straight answer vs. right answer

ESL/EFL Test #731 "Right, Left and Straight (1)", question 4

Mark is a really honest and frank boss. If he asks you a question, you should give him a direct and ......... answer -- even if you don't know the correct answer to his question.

(a) right
(b) left
(c) straight

ESL/EFL Test #731 "Right, Left and Straight (1)", answer 4

Mark is a really honest and frank boss. If he asks you a question, you should give him a direct and straight answer -- even if you don't know the correct answer to his question.

Correct answer: (c) straight

Mark is a really honest and frank boss. If he asks you a question, you should give him a direct and right answer -- even if you don't know the correct answer to his question.
_________________________

why not: right answer?
what is the difference between straight and right answer?
thanks.

straight answer vs. right answer #2 (permalink) Thu Jul 25, 2013 17:40 pm   straight answer vs. right answer

You need an adjective to suggest 'honest/frank/direct', which are the qualities of the person asking the question. That's why the adjective 'straight' fits best. This is nothing to do with 'right' or 'correct'.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
he was just skin and boneWhat does pass the buck mean?get on the trainMeaning of "guise"?We all need to paddle our own canoe.back to the bullpenthe pedal to the metalShe needs to mind her own beeswax...New kid on the block?Smooth sailingMeaning of "It's the cat's meow"What is the meaning of butted head?What does the idiom 'no dice' mean?