to rub off; to remove totally; to delete
know
pose
groom
erase

What does pass the buck mean?

the pedal to the metal | We all need to paddle our own canoe.
What does pass the buck mean? #1 (permalink) Sat Jul 27, 2013 20:01 pm   What does pass the buck mean?

She was known to duck responsibility whenever possible, but when she tried to pass the ......... on the tax error, she went too far.

(a) buck
(b) problem
(c) screw
(d) tab

She was known to duck responsibility whenever possible, but when she tried to pass the buck on the tax error, she went too far.

Correct answer: (a) buck
_________________________

Does "pass the buck " mean to evade responsibility by passing it on to someone else?
_________________

What does pass the buck mean? #2 (permalink) Sun Jul 28, 2013 20:52 pm   What does pass the buck mean?

Why do you ask this question when you know the answer ;-)?

TOEIC listening, question-response: Do you think anyone can make a living out of simply writing books?

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
What does pass the buck mean? #3 (permalink) Sun Jul 28, 2013 22:24 pm   What does pass the buck mean?

I didn't know the answer that's why I couldn't refrain from filling in. I had to search it in dictionaries., on the Google. When I found I think of sharing with the others. It is interesting for me that most people don't try to share their good answers. I don't believe that they hadn't look up dictionaries.

Why I don't believe it? Because much easier phrases are asked some times. For example recently "mad as a hatter."

If I don't know the correct answer and for the first attempt I do the test 10:6; at the second attempt I begin to find my mistaken answers - which takes of lot of time.

My question would be: Who do I harm ? Who do I damage? Isn't this a help for the others? It takes a lot of rime. It is a time-consuming work. He who gains time gains everything

Regards.
_________________

What does pass the buck mean? #4 (permalink) Sun Jul 28, 2013 23:04 pm   What does pass the buck mean?

Please, give me a microphone to my previous post because I have to correct something in my record.
_________________

What does pass the buck mean? #5 (permalink) Mon Jul 29, 2013 15:38 pm   What does pass the buck mean?

Indicative mood(affirmative form) I used to...+bare infinitive (= infinitive without to)
Indicative mood(negative form):I didn't use to

With helping word and in other moods negation:
http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=78
http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/usedto.html
http://www.tolearnenglish.com/english_lessons/used-to-negative-form

Question forms:
Did you use to smoke?
Didn't they use to come here often?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The following slightly archaic forms also exist:

Used they to help you?

Used they not to help you?

Usen't they to help you?
_________________

What does pass the buck mean? #6 (permalink) Mon Jul 29, 2013 15:45 pm   What does pass the buck mean?

Many thanks for the possibility that you let me correct my mistake.

I wrote originally refrain from filling in.
Later I received a letter from a person who speaks much better than me, and he wrote: refrain myself from...without controlling I could interpolate 'myself' into the text. It happened yesterday.This morning it set me thinking, and I looked up the dictionary. I saw that it made my previous post wrong with 'myself'. That's why I deleted . The correct use of this verb.
refrain
1.[intransitive] (formal) to stop yourself from doing something, especially something that you want to do.
- Please refrain from smoking.
-They appealed to the protesters to refrain from violence.
refrain (from doing something)
- He has refrained from criticizing the government in public.

We can easily mix it up with the verb "restrain "
restrain = 1.to stop somebody/something from doing something, especially by using physical force
2.to stop yourself from feeling an emotion or doing something that you would like to do
Here,we can use restrain myself (from sth/from doing sth)
I should have to restrain myself from filling in.

I 've found a sentence with a "bon mot" to me.

"I was tempted to answer back, but I restrained myself." YES!!! I get always the worse of it. I have to learn how restrain myself.
_________________

What are skyscrapers?What is skydiving?A butterfly is an animalhe was just skin and boneget on the trainstraight answer vs. right answerShe's as mad as a hatterShe is a very nice person.back to the bullpenNew kid on the block?What does the idiom 'no dice' mean?what do all these options mean like i's and others?What does endure mean?