opening of a show; first public appearance
influx
debut
allowance
buyer

Finished with each other

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Is or is being? | English idiom: to pay a visit
Finished with each other #1 (permalink) Wed Nov 24, 2004 14:24 pm   Finished with each other

Test No. incompl/elem-5 "Finish/End", question 10

To most people it seemed like a long and successful relationship and so it was a great surprise to learn that they had ......... with each other.

(a) ends
(b) ended
(c) finishes
(d) finished

Test No. incompl/elem-5 "Finish/End", answer 10

To most people it seemed like a long and successful relationship and so it was a great surprise to learn that they had finished with each other.

Correct answer: (d) finished

To most people it seemed like a long and successful relationship and so it was a great surprise to learn that they had ended with each other.
_________________________

why we used finished instead of ended?

clara
clara

Finished/ended #2 (permalink) Wed Nov 24, 2004 15:22 pm   Finished/ended

You need finished with here as this means that they no longer see each other. If you use ended then you would have to have an object as in: They have ended their relationship.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Finished with each other #3 (permalink) Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:58 am   Finished with each other

i got 6 out of 10 scores in the lesson but i failed to understand the exact difference in end/finished
jothi

Finished with each other #4 (permalink) Wed Jul 09, 2008 13:25 pm   Finished with each other

I got 7 out of 10. After checking the explanation I think I undrestood their differences but I am not sure wether I will make mistakes in the other phrases or not.
Zhasan

Finished with each other #5 (permalink) Mon Jul 21, 2008 21:25 pm   Finished with each other

I got 7 out of 10 but I'm not sure if I understood the differents between finish and end!!!
Can you give me more information about finish and end?
Thanks, Nico
Nico

unit 3 #6 (permalink) Thu Jul 31, 2008 18:26 pm   unit 3

I scored 9 out of 10.Im not very sure about the differences between ended and finished in the last question
Div

Finished with each other #7 (permalink) Sun Aug 17, 2008 16:02 pm   Finished with each other

I scored 5 questions out of 10. I already checked those explanations, but still get confuse about the diferences between finish and end. :?
Ripples

Finished with each other #8 (permalink) Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:32 am   Finished with each other

.
"Finish" and "end" have similar meanings, and are often interchangeable. There are some differences, though. According to Michael Swan:

"1. 'finish' + object: When we talk about getting to the end of something or completing an activity, we usually prefer 'finish'.
He never lets me finish a sentence.
She's always starting something new, but she never finishes anything.
You'll never finish that hamburger – it's too big for you.
Have you finished cleaning the floor yet?
Note that 'finish' can be followed by an –ing form [but 'end' is not followed by an –ing form].

2. 'end' + object: When we talk about stopping or breaking something off, we usually prefer 'end.:
I decided it was time to end our affair
It's time to end the uncertainty – the Prime Minister must speak out.
'End' cannot be followed by an –ing form:
I decided to stop seeing here (NOT …to end seeing her.)

3. 'end' + object = 'bring to a close'
When we are talking about a special way of bringing something to a close of 'shaping the end of something, we usually prefer 'end'
How do you end a letter to somebody you don't know?
She ended her concert with three songs by Schubert.
My father ended his days (=died) in a mental hospital.

4. shape
When we are referring to the shape of things, rather than to time, we normally use 'end.'
The road ended in a building site (NOT The road finished…)
Nouns that end in –s have plurals in –es…."

5. changes End is more common when there is an important change.

I decided it was time to end our affair.
It’s time to end the uncertainty – the Prime Minister must speak out.
The Second World War ended in 1945….
.
_________________

Finished with each other #9 (permalink) Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:38 am   Finished with each other

To Mister Micawber,

Thanks for your explain, now I get more understand on this.Thanks a lot.
Ripples

Finished with each other #10 (permalink) Thu Sep 18, 2008 15:57 pm   Finished with each other

Hi,dear Mr.Dearr!
I`m so sory I`m late by doing multiple choise test 4 but I was very busy.In the first time it was difficult for me to understand the difference between verbs 'end' and 'finish'.When I was doind the test I read explanation of some of the sentences.Then I understood what is the difference.When I did the test at first time,I received 8 score.After that I decided to repeat the test and I received maximum score.I`ll be so happy if you edit my message.It will be very helpful for me.Many thanks for everything you did for me ,dear teacher!

I`ll write you soon again.
Best regards,Peter.
Cimarro

Finished with each other #11 (permalink) Thu Sep 18, 2008 16:19 pm   Finished with each other

Dear Peter,

Many thanks for taking the test and sharing your results with us. I'm very glad that you took the test two times because it is important for you to answer all of the questions correctly. As for your editing your message, please read How can I improve my writing skills? and let me know what you think.

Best regards,

TOEIC listening, photographs: Comedian performing

eng vs. finish #12 (permalink) Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:56 am   eng vs. finish

Dear Torsten,

I took the test and my score was 9 of 10, my mistake was in question number 8; i thought the sentence was in present not in past, and I'm still confused.

again, thank you and the whole team for this site, it is very helpful.

Best Regards,

Malak Taha :D
Malak

Location: Amman, Jordan

Finished with each other #13 (permalink) Tue Oct 21, 2008 19:49 pm   Finished with each other

I got 8 out of 10.thanks for your help aln and for the whole team.This lesson is very useful.
Kk

Finished with each other #14 (permalink) Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:26 am   Finished with each other

i got confused with the difference betwean end and finish, would you please explain thoroughly about the difference
thank you
Laleh.rafiee

Finished with each other #15 (permalink) Thu Nov 06, 2008 22:00 pm   Finished with each other

Dear Torsten,
I scored 7/10. thanks for the lesson:)
Best regards,Peter.
Piotrekabk

Location: Poland

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
catch up vs. make upSee a concert?Meaning of "off"?Might as well not?increments the number???What does rather than mean and when we use it and how Could you explain on exampmore important vs. most importantwho could possibly be ringingSupper is a main mealUsage of Past perfect verb formMeaning of disappearSimple present vs. present perfect progressiveCan I use especially in the first sentence?