to acquire; to procure; to secure; to earn; to achieve
unveil
obtain
refurbish
card

Polite vs. politeness

Only the shortcut to it??? | Expression "do you good"
Polite vs. politeness #1 (permalink) Wed Nov 24, 2004 14:47 pm   Polite vs. politeness

Test No. incompl/elem-12 "We went on holiday", question 9

I believe it is ......... to hold a door open for a lady.

(a) politic
(b) polite
(c) political
(d) politeness

Test No. incompl/elem-12 "We went on holiday", answer 9

I believe it is polite to hold a door open for a lady.

Correct answer: (b) polite

I believe it is politeness to hold a door open for a lady.
_________________________

why we used polite instead of politeness?
clara

Polite #2 (permalink) Wed Nov 24, 2004 15:19 pm   Polite

You need an adjective here: polite. It is correct (adjective) to answer the question with this word.
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Polite vs. politeness #3 (permalink) Wed Feb 17, 2010 18:15 pm   Polite vs. politeness

Hello! How about "politely"? Can it be used it this case?
Olgavic

Location: Ukraine

Polite vs. politeness #4 (permalink) Wed Feb 17, 2010 18:38 pm   Polite vs. politeness

"politely" cannot be used in this case because it is an adverb. It describes HOW the action of a verb is done -- eg, He asked them politely to turn down the music." How did he ask? politely
Acw

Polite vs. politeness #5 (permalink) Wed Feb 17, 2010 19:24 pm   Polite vs. politeness

Thank you for response. Seems I just have to remember it, because in my native language only adverb, not adjective should be used in such example :-(
(Of course it doesn't make to sense at all to mention our native languages.)
Olgavic

Location: Ukraine

Polite vs. politeness #6 (permalink) Tue May 24, 2011 13:58 pm   Polite vs. politeness

what about politeness?
Jaspreet5

Polite vs. politeness #7 (permalink) Tue May 24, 2011 17:14 pm   Polite vs. politeness

'Politeness' is an abstract noun. She always thanked everybody for everything and always listened whenever anybody was talking. This politeness was taught her by her parents.

_________________

Polite vs. politeness #8 (permalink) Tue Jul 19, 2011 23:01 pm   Polite vs. politeness

hi, dear mr. torsten
i couldn't get why i can't use politness instead of polite? in this test?
please tell me more.
fatemeh5
Fatemeh5

Polite vs. politeness #9 (permalink) Sun Nov 04, 2012 17:42 pm   Polite vs. politeness

Hi Fatemeh
It is because of the sentence pattern.after 'to be' verbs we must have 'adjective'.politness is noun!You can read your previous letter Alan said''Politeness' is an abstract noun. She always thanked everybody for everything and always listened whenever anybody was talking. This politeness was taught her by her parents.'
I hope that it be helpful
Best Regards.
Fahimeh.
Fahimeh Shirshahi

Location: Iran

increments the number???What does rather than mean and when we use it and how Could you explain on exampWhat does this mean --Extreme sports have taken off in a big way over the last twShould?Just curiousTo make the most of it?Does it naturallyl sound in English- The theme of our lesson is ---- Thanks forstart or beginmore important vs. most importantwho could possibly be ringingWhat are quirks?what does furtive mean?Difference between weather and climate