symbol; sign; mark; remembrance
sneakers
token
finance
evidence

Grammar scolds unite!

Forgotten times. | Apologies.
Grammar scolds unite! #1 (permalink) Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:28 am   Grammar scolds unite!

Here is the latest episode of Lexicon Valley, a radio show all about language, usually English. This one's subject may be of interest to some people here on the forum (though I am not naming names!)

http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/lexicon_valley/2013/08/lexicon_valley_with_john_mcwhorter_on_why_prescriptivism_lives_in_all_of.html

Grammar scolds unite! #2 (permalink) Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:31 am   Grammar scolds unite!

An interesting example from the show is how Webster's dictionary definition of "literally" now includes "figuratively". Yes, now it is official that literally can mean figuratively - oh the horror! And this sad decline actually started in the 1800's - Dickens in 1839 :(

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Grammar scolds unite! #3 (permalink) Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:46 am   Grammar scolds unite!

I remember watching Weird Al's mock interview with Avril Lavinger where he made fun of her use of "literaly":
She said: "I literally live out of a suitcase". And he replied with an emphatic "literally???" and followed up with "it must smell like crap in there".

(3:00)

_________________

Grammar scolds unite! #4 (permalink) Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:31 am   Grammar scolds unite!

What is a 'Grammar Scold' when it's at home? Or is Grammar scolding Unite? Sounds weird but 'Unite' is the name of a trade union in this country. Funny old thing, language, isn't it?
_________________

Forgotten times. | Apologies.
Sunbathing can be dangerousDon't,How to be a President?Interesting article - the effects of speaking "the world's most dominant lanWhat are the interesting english learning methods?Long odds spell faint chances short odds bode great chances for peanutsThe Bill of Rights repealed?Is anybody there? Does anybody care?Staying Alive!Why English is the AAA Language in the world?Demonstrations in Turkey?How does a drive-through bank work?How important are free learning materials to you?