to hold superior; to appoint; to nominate; to like better
condition
resemble
solace
prefer

Robbing an old lady

The ferry crossing lasting 90 minutes | please explain the difference between 'picture' and 'paint'
Robbing an old lady #1 (permalink) Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:11 am   Robbing an old lady

Test No. errors/advan-3 "The audience went wild", question 1

He was accused of stealing an old lady in the high street just after she had left the bank.

(a) accused
(b) stealing
(c) just after
(d) had left

Test No. errors/advan-3 "The audience went wild", answer 1

He was accused of robbing an old lady in the high street just after she had left the bank.

Correct entry: robbing
The error was: (b) stealing

You have found the error but your entry is incorrect.
He was accused of stealing from an old lady in the high street just after she had left the bank.
_________________________

please explain
pauline hanson

Steal rob #2 (permalink) Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:58 am   Steal rob

You only need to replace one word with another - rob in place of steal. Steal is used in a general sense but rob would be used in this particular incident in the street.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Robbing an old lady #3 (permalink) Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:35 am   Robbing an old lady

When you steal something, you are taking it. He was not stealing the old lady herself; rather, he was stealing something FROM her.

"To rob" is a synonym for "to steal from".
Piginspandex

asset-based loanscontemplating expandingTHE university of dhaka in bangladesh....why the definite article is used here??Ants teach young antsElderly peopleYou must follow the lawAscertain vs. ascribestruck silentDo you have to workpast simple/present perfectare/will beAnything similar to a scarf?otoplasty.