Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to create; to write; to relax; to calm oneself; to settle
regulate
posture
compose
rate
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Autumn begins since March vs. Autumn begins in March

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Is there any story or conversation for those questions? | Meaning of 'I love you deeply'
listening exercises
Autumn begins since March vs. Autumn begins in March #1 (permalink) Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:51 am   Autumn begins since March vs. Autumn begins in March

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #96 "prepositions of time: for, ago, since, on, at", question 6

In Europe Autumn begins ......... March.

(a) in
(b) on
(c) at
(d) since

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #96 "prepositions of time: for, ago, since, on, at", answer 6

In Europe Autumn begins in March.

Correct answer: (a) in

Your answer was: incorrect
In Europe Autumn begins since March.

I think 'Autumn begins from March', 'since' is equal 'from'. Certainly, 'Autumn begins in March' is right. Am I right?

Thanks in advance.
Peter
Peter

Autumn begins since March vs. Autumn begins in March #2 (permalink) Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:41 pm   Autumn begins since March vs. Autumn begins in March

Begin is an 'instantaneous' action; it must happen at a point (relatively) in time. Since indicates a time span (since March = from March to now).

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Topsy-turvy seasons #3 (permalink) Fri Oct 13, 2006 21:40 pm   Topsy-turvy seasons

Where in Europe does autumn begin in March, I wonder? :o
Conchita
Language Coach

Autumn begins since March vs. Autumn begins in March #4 (permalink) Sat Oct 14, 2006 0:23 am   Autumn begins since March vs. Autumn begins in March

Hmm. Missed that. I was looking at the trees again.

Autumn begins since March vs. Autumn begins in March #5 (permalink) Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:22 am   Autumn begins since March vs. Autumn begins in March

Oh, me too! :o :D After finishing the test I was for a moment seriously making myself recall my stay in Europe once in March. :roll:
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Autumn begins since March vs. Autumn begins in March #6 (permalink) Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:27 am   Autumn begins since March vs. Autumn begins in March

Good morning my dear friends! You are right, in Europe autumn usually begins in September. The sentence above was 'a test in a test' which you have passed and we can insert the correct month now. Many thanks for your vigilance.

TOEIC listening, photographs: Reviewing blueprints
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Well spot, Conchita! #7 (permalink) Thu Nov 30, 2006 14:54 pm   Well spot, Conchita!

I am not surprised that Conchita spotted that, since she is a true nature lover!

Is there any story or conversation for those questions? | Meaning of 'I love you deeply'
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
There should be vs. there'sWhat is meaning of 'hold up' and 'hold off'?Use 'forgotten' + 'at home''got to know' versus 'learned to know'Meaning of pubVerb "delay" cannot be followed by a 'to infinitive'Run off with VERSUS run throughBreak up a marriage VERSUS break off a marriageMeaning of expression: 'to learn by heart'Meaning of "sort of a knee jerk"Expression: below stairsIs it right "The FRS lends ..., and known as the ... crises"?Meaning of 'start-up capital'