Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

answer; response
plug
trade
senior
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of "go Dutch"

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of sublet | Danger, hazard or threat?
listening exercises
Meaning of "go Dutch" #1 (permalink) Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:21 am   Meaning of "go Dutch"

English Idioms and Expressions, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #20 "English Idioms and Phrases", question 4

I invited a friend to go to a street market by my house where they served some real good Japanese food. My friend's mom wanted to pay for her daughter's meal, but I insisted on paying for both our meals myself, her mom finally said: Ok, as long as we go Dutch next time.

(a) I pay for your meal
(b) you take me with you
(c) you let me drive you there
(d) we divide the costs

English Idioms and Expressions, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #20 "English Idioms and Phrases", answer 4

I invited a friend to go to a street market by my house where they served some real good Japanese food. My friend's mom wanted to pay for her daughter's meal, but I insisted on paying for both our meals myself, her mom finally said: Ok, as long as we we divide the costs next time.

Correct answer: (d) we divide the costs

Hi! What does it mean "Dutch"?
1-a behaviour like Holland, when each of peaple pay for themselves or 2-her mom want to pay for his meal?

Thanks
Shamil
Shamil

Meaning of "go Dutch" #2 (permalink) Fri Oct 13, 2006 14:07 pm   Meaning of "go Dutch"

Dutch treat: An outing or date in which each person pays his or her own expenses. For example, Her parents agreed that she might date if it were a Dutch treat. The related expression go Dutch means "to go on a date with each person paying their own way," as in Students often elect to go Dutch. The first term dates from about 1870, and the variant from the early 1900s.

I am not sure, however, that the term relates directly to social behavior in Holland.

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of sublet | Danger, hazard or threat?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Meaning of delightedMeaning of equityWhat's the difference between whatever and what?Meaning of "reference letter"Meaning of phrasal verb "run away"Meaning of MeanderDid versus madeWhy not use 'about' instead of 'of'?What is another word for Free of Emotions?He is being late (simple present vs. present continuous)Tense agreement questionMeaning of 'not impossible'Make + object pronoun + infinitive