Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

substitution; substitute
talk
replacement
credit
mistake
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Danger, hazard or threat?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of "go Dutch" | Meaning of Meander
listening exercises
Danger, hazard or threat? #1 (permalink) Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:21 am   Danger, hazard or threat?

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #111 "Synonyms for danger", question 1

In winter months there is always a ......... of catching cold.

(a) danger
(b) peril
(c) jeopardy
(d) hazard

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #111 "Synonyms for danger", answer 1

In winter months there is always a danger of catching cold.

Correct answer: (a) danger

why danger and not hazerd or threat , dont they meen the saem

john
John

Danger, hazard or threat? #2 (permalink) Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:55 am   Danger, hazard or threat?

Hi John

Your question (with spelling and punctuation improvements): ;)
Why danger and not hazard or threat? Don't they mean the same thing?

My answer:
Yes, the words hazard and threat do have similar meanings. I'd say that the word threat could also be used in the test sentence, however threat was not one of the options.

You need to decide which choice is best not only based on definition but also based on "normal" or "typical" collocation and danger of catching a cold is definitely a much more typical collocation than hazard of catching a cold. In my opionion, a native speaker would never say hazard of catching a cold.

On the other hand, saying that something is "a health hazard" would be a typical collocation.

Amy

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "go Dutch" | Meaning of Meander
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Is 'massacred' to be used for number of people only?Meaning of delightedMeaning of equityWhat's the difference between whatever and what?Meaning of "reference letter"Meaning of phrasal verb "run away"Did versus madeWhy not use 'about' instead of 'of'?Meaning of subletWhat is another word for Free of Emotions?He is being late (simple present vs. present continuous)Tense agreement questionMeaning of 'not impossible'