rope; cord; link; connection; equal score in a game
tension
availability
tie
simple

Meaning of phrasal verb "run away"

Why not use 'about' instead of 'of'? | Meaning of "reference letter"
Meaning of phrasal verb "run away" #1 (permalink) Sat Oct 14, 2006 16:02 pm   Meaning of phrasal verb "run away"

ESL/EFL Test #150 "Idioms with the phrasal verb run", question 3

I decided to ......... my girlfriend and get married when I found out that her parents didn't like me because of my religion.

(a) run away with
(b) run for
(c) run against
(d) run through

ESL/EFL Test #150 "Idioms with the phrasal verb run", answer 3

I decided to run away with my girlfriend and get married when I found out that her parents didn't like me because of my religion.

Correct answer: (a) run away with

I decided to run through my girlfriend and get married when I found out that her parents didn't like me because of my religion.
_________________________

Hi, Could you explain the meaning of the phrase "run away with" in this sentense? Thanks a lot

Truong
Truong

Meaning of phrasal verb "run away" #2 (permalink) Sat Oct 14, 2006 16:12 pm   Meaning of phrasal verb "run away"

The term 'run away' here is practically used in its literal sense and means 'leave home secretely'. Another verb used in this sense is 'elope': run away from home to get married.

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
'high spot' versus 'high point'Fictitious vs. fictionalUse the word by before the reflexive pronounIs 'massacred' to be used for number of people only?Meaning of delightedMeaning of equityWhat's the difference between whatever and what?Meaning of MeanderDid versus madeDanger, hazard or threat?Meaning of "go Dutch"Meaning of subletWhat is another word for Free of Emotions?