Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

rope; cord; link; connection; equal score in a game
tension
availability
tie
simple
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of phrasal verb "run away"

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Why not use 'about' instead of 'of'? | Meaning of "reference letter"
listening exercises
Meaning of phrasal verb "run away" #1 (permalink) Sat Oct 14, 2006 16:02 pm   Meaning of phrasal verb "run away"

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #150 "Idioms with the phrasal verb run", question 3

I decided to ......... my girlfriend and get married when I found out that her parents didn't like me because of my religion.

(a) run away with
(b) run for
(c) run against
(d) run through

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #150 "Idioms with the phrasal verb run", answer 3

I decided to run away with my girlfriend and get married when I found out that her parents didn't like me because of my religion.

Correct answer: (a) run away with

Your answer was: incorrect
I decided to run through my girlfriend and get married when I found out that her parents didn't like me because of my religion.

Hi, Could you explain the meaning of the phrase "run away with" in this sentense? Thanks a lot

Truong
Truong

Meaning of phrasal verb "run away" #2 (permalink) Sat Oct 14, 2006 16:12 pm   Meaning of phrasal verb "run away"

The term 'run away' here is practically used in its literal sense and means 'leave home secretely'. Another verb used in this sense is 'elope': run away from home to get married.
Conchita
Language Coach

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Why not use 'about' instead of 'of'? | Meaning of "reference letter"
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
'high spot' versus 'high point'Fictitious vs. fictionalUse the word by before the reflexive pronounIs 'massacred' to be used for number of people only?Meaning of delightedMeaning of equityWhat's the difference between whatever and what?Meaning of MeanderDid versus madeDanger, hazard or threat?Meaning of "go Dutch"Meaning of subletWhat is another word for Free of Emotions?