inflow; inward flow; place where a stream flows into another body of water
procedure
inspiration
influx
particular

Strike

How to say "Happy Birthday" in your native language? | Are there winners and losers in the world of ESL?
Strike #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:55 am   Strike

A number of schools in England are closed today because many teachers throughout England have gone on strike in protest over pay, pensions and jobs. Do you think it's acceptable for teachers to go on strike? Your opinion, please.
_________________

Strike #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 17, 2013 14:20 pm   Strike

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, doesn't it?
Governments raise the prices all the time.
Plus I haven't met a student who enjoys going to school.
So it's a win-win situation however you slice it.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Re: Strike #3 (permalink) Fri Oct 18, 2013 13:09 pm   Re: Strike

Do you think it's acceptable for teachers to go on strike?

No, I do not.

I feel that anyone who works for the government does not have the right to strike.

Here in the United States, teachers in large cities are usually paid very well, have tenure (cannot be dismissed except for very serious reasons), and have very good pensions for the rest of their lives. (I am referring to big cities; furthermore, some people are trying to abolish tenure.)

Americans who work for city, state, or the federal government are usually paid very well, have their jobs for life, and get wonderful benefits (health insurance, pensions).

They are luckier than many other Americans who work for private employers.

The least that they could do in order to show their appreciation for their good luck is NOT to strike.

After all, it is the public that is paying the salaries of those teachers, bus drivers, police officers, government office workers, etc.

They have the gall to strike because they know that the politicians do not have the courage to fire them.

How dare they strike and inconvenience the public!
James M

Consequential Loss!The spirit will take the form of a person.Who's Claudia?Who's Cristina?expert advice .One man's meat....God Vs. DogGrammar jokesIt's still summer. Does anybody like it?Where did you go for your last vacation?Do you speak French?Please help us choose a topic for our photo contest!50,000 newsletter subscribers!