Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

inflow; inward flow; place where a stream flows into another body of water
procedure
inspiration
influx
particular
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Strike

ESL Forums | What do you want to talk about?
How to say "Happy Birthday" in your native language? | Are there winners and losers in the world of ESL?
listening exercises
Strike #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:55 am   Strike

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

55 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

A number of schools in England are closed today because many teachers throughout England have gone on strike in protest over pay, pensions and jobs. Do you think it's acceptable for teachers to go on strike? Your opinion, please.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Strike #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 17, 2013 14:20 pm   Strike

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, doesn't it?
Governments raise the prices all the time.
Plus I haven't met a student who enjoys going to school.
So it's a win-win situation however you slice it.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Re: Strike #3 (permalink) Fri Oct 18, 2013 13:09 pm   Re: Strike

Alan wrote:
Do you think it's acceptable for teachers to go on strike?

No, I do not.

I feel that anyone who works for the government does not have the right to strike.

Here in the United States, teachers in large cities are usually paid very well, have tenure (cannot be dismissed except for very serious reasons), and have very good pensions for the rest of their lives. (I am referring to big cities; furthermore, some people are trying to abolish tenure.)

Americans who work for city, state, or the federal government are usually paid very well, have their jobs for life, and get wonderful benefits (health insurance, pensions).

They are luckier than many other Americans who work for private employers.

The least that they could do in order to show their appreciation for their good luck is NOT to strike.

After all, it is the public that is paying the salaries of those teachers, bus drivers, police officers, government office workers, etc.

They have the gall to strike because they know that the politicians do not have the courage to fire them.

How dare they strike and inconvenience the public!
James M
I'm a Communicator ;-)

How to say "Happy Birthday" in your native language? | Are there winners and losers in the world of ESL?
ESL Forums | What do you want to talk about? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Consequential Loss!The spirit will take the form of a person.Who's Claudia?Who's Cristina?expert advice .One man's meat....God Vs. DogGrammar jokesIt's still summer. Does anybody like it?Where did you go for your last vacation?Do you speak French?Please help us choose a topic for our photo contest!50,000 newsletter subscribers!