reference point; geographical location
arrest
facilitator
coordinate
myriad

Is 'massacred' to be used for number of people only?

Meaning of delighted | Use the word by before the reflexive pronoun
Is 'massacred' to be used for number of people only? #1 (permalink) Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:16 am   Is 'massacred' to be used for number of people only?

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #114 "Synonyms for kill and murder", question 9

A lot of Indian villages were ......... after white men settled in the new continent.

(a) executed
(b) killed
(c) massacred
(d) dispatched

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #114 "Synonyms for kill and murder", answer 9

A lot of Indian villages were massacred after white men settled in the new continent.

Correct answer: (c) massacred

A lot of Indian villages were dispatched after white men settled in the new continent.
_________________________

Is massacred to be used for number of people only?

Lola
Lola

Is 'massacred' to be used for number of people only? #2 (permalink) Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:52 am   Is 'massacred' to be used for number of people only?

Good question, Lola.

The word 'massacre' means "the unnecessary, indiscriminate killing of a large number of human beings or animals."

The test sentence talks about whole villages (of people and animals) that were killed.

Here is a dictionary link:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=massacre&r=66

_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between stuck and fixExpression: to be pleased withPrepositions of timeExpression: be good at'high spot' versus 'high point'Why we "put down" it's not clear to meFictitious vs. fictionalMeaning of equityWhat's the difference between whatever and what?Use of the article "a"Meaning of "reference letter"Meaning of phrasal verb "run away"Meaning of Meander