Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

collection of written records; use of written records as evidence
documentation
announcement
privilege
overview
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

The couple shut themselves away

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Fall to = to come by lot or chance | Little more detail
listening exercises
The couple shut themselves away #1 (permalink) Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:46 am   The couple shut themselves away

Test No. incompl/inter-10 "Close/Shut", question 8

After the terrible experiences that they had been through, the couple ......... themselves away from the community.

(a) shut
(b) shuts
(c) closes
(d) closing

Test No. incompl/inter-10 "Close/Shut", answer 8

After the terrible experiences that they had been through, the couple shut themselves away from the community.

Correct answer: (a) shut

Your answer was: incorrect
After the terrible experiences that they had been through, the couple closes themselves away from the community.

why is closes incorrect?

Kongo
Kongo

Shut #2 (permalink) Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:18 am   Shut

It couldn't possibly be closes because the subject is they and the expression shut yourself away from means remove yourself from society and not talk to anybody.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
The couple shut themselves away #3 (permalink) Tue May 13, 2008 21:56 pm   The couple shut themselves away

I think the difference between close and shut is that
shut has more the sense of "separation or complete isolation from the outside", it is quantitive (complete) and qualitative (spearation) different from close.
Is that correct Alan?
Thank you in advance for answering
Casafon
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

The couple shut themselves away #4 (permalink) Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:38 am   The couple shut themselves away

I don't understand why "shut", but not "shuts"? Is it because, "the couple" as a pronoun is they, but not it? Thank you.
Luda

The couple shut themselves away #5 (permalink) Wed Apr 29, 2009 19:15 pm   The couple shut themselves away

I think that after 'the couple' should be: shuts, so why it is :shut?
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

The couple shut themselves away #6 (permalink) Wed Apr 29, 2009 20:01 pm   The couple shut themselves away

'Couple' is 3rd person plural. Only 4rd person singular uses the 's'.

It's the same as if you substituted 'they' in the sentence in place of 'the couple'.
Skrej
I'm here quite often ;-)

The couple shut themselves away #7 (permalink) Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:56 am   The couple shut themselves away

I think, in this sentence "Shut" is used in the past tense.Since it is an irregular verb, it is definitely Shut; not shuts or shuted:):)Look at the first part of the sentence:
"After the terrible experiences that they had been through." Past perfect in the first part, past simple in the second part. So, it is SHUT:):) It was all about the tense-not plural/singular forms.:):)
Natasha81
I'm here quite often ;-)

The couple shut themselves away #8 (permalink) Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:52 am   The couple shut themselves away

Natasha81 wrote:
I think, in this sentence "Shut" is used in the past tense.Since it is an irregular verb, it is definitely Shut; not shuts or shuted:):)Look at the first part of the sentence:
"After the terrible experiences that they had been through." Past perfect in the first part, past simple in the second part. So, it is SHUT:):) It was all about the tense-not plural/singular forms.:):)

I entirely agree with your explanations. Actually, the question does not seem so hard at first glance but, to my humble opinion, it requires a bit concentration on especially the sequence of tenses.

Regards to all
Emir
You can meet me at english-test.net

The couple shut themselves away #9 (permalink) Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:23 am   The couple shut themselves away

Hello,
What's the difference between shut and close?

Thank you.
Marica
Marica
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

The couple shut themselves away #10 (permalink) Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:12 pm   The couple shut themselves away

Skrey wrote:'Couple' is 3rd person plural. Only 4rd person singular uses the 's'.

In grammar there are three persons singular and plural. I haven't heard about 4rd person? What did you write about?
Thanks.
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Re: The couple shut themselves away #11 (permalink) Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:20 am   Re: The couple shut themselves away

I think I start to understand why it is close away, not shut away.
Because to be shut away = to be in a place from which you just can't escape,
but to be close away it's a moral thing, meaning that you are not comunicating with other people, that you are a moral secluded person..
In this sentence, the couple isn't shut away from the society. They (the husband and the wife) have the opportunity to comunicate with other people but they don't want to - they are secluded persons.
So, it's: close away
tadaa!
am I right?
Kdex

The couple shut themselves away #12 (permalink) Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:01 pm   The couple shut themselves away

I'm afraid not, Kdex. You also seem to be confused about the correct answer. Please read message #2.
Language Coach

Fall to = to come by lot or chance | Little more detail
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
at harvest timeDid you hearhiveld?but you were too busyMeaning of eagerdifference between latest and newestDifference between I used to and I was used to?Which vs. whoMeaning of "executive assistant"Meaning of 'since then'Less expensiveTalk to vs. talk aboutNot necessary