Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to waver; to be uncertain; to vacillate; to falter; to be indecisive
signify
tie
hesitate
permit
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

modal verbs

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
The use of "malady" | Article and another/the other
listening exercises
modal verbs #1 (permalink) Thu Nov 07, 2013 16:11 pm   modal verbs

hello, everyone (Teacher)
I'm Trang

Will you tell me about difference from following modal verbs:
can- could
will- would
may-might

And in this sentence: "That therefore removes 'hope' from the possible am nswers. If I say: I hope you can help me', it [would] be in response to: Can I help you?.", why not using will and using "would"?

Thank you very much.
Good night.

Trang.
Trang.eusum
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

modal verbs #2 (permalink) Thu Nov 07, 2013 18:01 pm   modal verbs

This webpage seems to give a clear explanation: http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/english-grammar/verbs/modal-verbs/certain-probable-or-possible

I could not really understand your question - what exactly is the sentence you have a question about?
Luschen
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
modal verbs #3 (permalink) Thu Nov 07, 2013 18:04 pm   modal verbs

And here is the page for will or would: http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/verbs/modal-verbs/will-or-would

This seems to be the part that applies to your question: "We use would to talk about hypotheses, about something which is possible but not real"
Luschen
I'm a Communicator ;-)

modal verbs #4 (permalink) Sat Nov 09, 2013 15:14 pm   modal verbs

Thank you very much for your reply, Luschen.^^

I'm Trang. I am reading the page you tell me, It is so useful. ^^

I'm sorry. I read a explanation on English test about why we should use the answer: "I wonder if you can help me". And on the explanation, there are these sentences: "That therefore removes 'hope' from the possible answers. If I say: I hope you can help me', it "would " be in response to: Can I help you?." I don't know why "would" is used on the sentences: "it would be in response to : Can I help you" , why "will" isn't used?

Trang
Trang.eusum
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

The use of "malady" | Article and another/the other
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
thanking teachersCriticism surfaced in Washington as wellThe use of "partially"Some confuses, please help me to correct them. Many thanksFormation of adverbsmore and morewhich is meaningful?Please correctCorrect?hi,luschan,difference between substantial and concreteon a bad dayDONE US PROUD?article