to destroy; to ruin; to tear down; to remove
gather
assess
demolish
fare

Fictitious vs. fictional

Use the word by before the reflexive pronoun | Idiom: "head over heels"
Fictitious vs. fictional #1 (permalink) Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:01 am   Fictitious vs. fictional

Common Errors in English, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #11 "Adjectives and Verbs", question 6

He based his behaviour on the fictitious character Mr Micawber, who was never able to pay his bills.

(a) based
(b) fictitious
(c) able
(d) bills

ESL/EFL Test #11 "Adjectives and Verbs", answer 6

He based his behaviour on the fictional character Mr Micawber, who was never able to pay his bills.

Correct entry: fictional
The error was: (b) fictitious
_________________________

the word fictitious is written ok

Minor
Minor

Fiction #2 (permalink) Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:56 am   Fiction

Both adjectives have a common origin in the word 'fiction' and the meanings often overlap but in the sentence in the test reference is made to a character from a work of fiction by the novelist, Charles Dickens. It makes sense in that particular case to use the word 'fictional'. Fictitious has the sense of imaginary often with the idea of false, not genuine or fake as in: The tax inspector didn't believe the calculations made by the company as in his opinion they were not accurate but entirely fictitious.

_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Change vs. modifyExchange vs. transmitDifference between stuck and fixExpression: to be pleased withPrepositions of timeExpression: be good at'high spot' versus 'high point'Why we "put down" it's not clear to meIs 'massacred' to be used for number of people only?Meaning of delightedMeaning of equityWhat's the difference between whatever and what?Use of the article "a"