collection of written records; use of written records as evidence
documentation
announcement
privilege
overview

Pronunciation of 'didn't'. Is the 2nd d in 'didn't' BrE voiced or not at all?

Can you help me with this letter of recommendation, please? Thx | To say the least/ That's the least you could say. Same meaning?
Pronunciation of 'didn't'. Is the 2nd d in 'didn't' BrE voiced or not at all? #1 (permalink) Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:18 am   Pronunciation of 'didn't'. Is the 2nd d in 'didn't' BrE voiced or not at all?

Hi everyone,

I was listening to the pronunciation 'didn't' on OALD online and I noticed a difference in pronunciation; in BrE the 2nd d seems slightly voiced, perhaps not at all, whereas in AmE it it is clealy voiced. Am I right about this?

Alexandro
_________________
'Everyone can mistakes! After all, nobody's perfect.'
Alexandro

Pronunciation of 'didn't'. Is the 2nd d in 'didn't' BrE voiced or not at all? #2 (permalink) Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:08 am   Pronunciation of 'didn't'. Is the 2nd d in 'didn't' BrE voiced or not at all?

Lately I have noticed a lot of people pronouncing it "dint", even here in the states.

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Pronunciation of 'didn't'. Is the 2nd d in 'didn't' BrE voiced or not at all? #3 (permalink) Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:38 am   Pronunciation of 'didn't'. Is the 2nd d in 'didn't' BrE voiced or not at all?

The 2nd 'd' is voiced.
I can hear it in the BrE pronunciation on OALD. Where the pronunciation differs on that site appears to be not in the sound of the 'd', but in what comes after it (in BrE '-dnt', in AmE '-dent')
_________________

Pronunciation of 'didn't'. Is the 2nd d in 'didn't' BrE voiced or not at all? #4 (permalink) Thu Nov 14, 2013 19:30 pm   Pronunciation of 'didn't'. Is the 2nd d in 'didn't' BrE voiced or not at all?

Thanks Luschen, Beeesneees

I've always used the BrE pronunciation, but it was not quite clear to me whether the 'd' was voiced or not. Some Americans say that I sound wonderfully British, but since I'm a non-native speaker, my auditory perception is a little different than that of a native.

Alexandro
_________________
Alexandro

I bought the car in full by non instalment.for/ because/ punctuationSearch your heartHurried or hurriedlyIs ol' shorter than old?Modal - 'can'Time is your best enenmy and your best friendPlease help me to correct the sentencesPlease correctcondemnedwhich one is correct?Most of the people or most people?as with so much