Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

present; opposite of absent; accompanying
scrupulous
environmental
lasting
attendant
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Time is your best enenmy and your best friend

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Constructions with had better...giving advice. Give comments on my examples | Hurried or hurriedly
listening exercises
Time is your best enenmy and your best friend #1 (permalink) Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:52 am   Time is your best enenmy and your best friend

Hi, Teachers and everyone

Time is/are your best enenmy and your best friend.

Is this sentence ok ?, Time is uncountable noun, I use the verb "is". However I notice the object is 2 things : enemy and friend. In this case should I change "IS" to "ARE" ?
Please advice ?

In general, if the subject is singular, the Verb should agree with the subject right ? (No matter the object is plural)

thank you for your time.
Waiyin Cheng
I'm here quite often ;-)

Time is your best enenmy and your best friend #2 (permalink) Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:31 am   Time is your best enenmy and your best friend

Yes, the verb should match the subject, not the object/s. Time here is uncountable, although sometimes it can be countable. "I tried five times." "The times, they are a'changing." {Maybe not a good idea to use song lyrics as grammar examples, but it's Dylan! But he's so unhip, when you say "Dylan", he thinks you're talking about Dylan Thomas - whoever he was. The man ain't got no culture!}
Luschen
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Time is your best enenmy and your best friend #3 (permalink) Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:40 am   Time is your best enenmy and your best friend

Thank you Lurchen for your help and explain thoroughly. So my sentence should be "Time IS your best enenmy and your best friend."
Waiyin Cheng
I'm here quite often ;-)

Time is your best enenmy and your best friend #4 (permalink) Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:48 am   Time is your best enenmy and your best friend

Yes, you are correct, also sorry for my diversion - hopefully someone will recognize the Simon and Garfunkel reference - time for bed I think.

Also, the correct spelling is enemy.
Luschen
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Constructions with had better...giving advice. Give comments on my examples | Hurried or hurriedly
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Search your heartTo say the least/ That's the least you could say. Same meaning?Is ol' shorter than old?Modal - 'can'Pronunciation of 'didn't'. Is the 2nd d in 'didn't' BrE voiced or not at all?Abbreviation of would or had becomePlease correctneither approach excludes the othercondemnedwhich one is correct?Most of the people or most people?Whose is that car? V Whose that car is?; One / a man exploits anotherclosed down and won a free kick from...