Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

serene; quiet; peaceful; tranquil; relaxed; calm
metropolitan
placid
unable
liable
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

How much or how many? Please help me.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Clear my doubts | You are the last person I'd want/ want & She never has had or has never had.
listening exercises
How much or how many? Please help me. #1 (permalink) Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:58 pm   How much or how many? Please help me.

1. How much or how many fruit does your father produce?

Which one is the best answer? If not, please suggest me another option.
2. What would you like to do at the weekend ?
A. I like to do a lot B. I can’t do it C. I’d like to do D. I don’t like the weekend

3. . Do you like pop music ?
A. I would B. Yes, a lot C. No, I like it D. Yes, we are

4. 17. What time ________ on television?
A. is the news B. are the news C. is news D. are news

5. 29. ________long or short?
A. Does Mai have hair B. Is Mai’s hair
C. Does Mai’s hair have D. Is hair of Mai
Tuyet8
I'm here quite often ;-)

How much or how many? Please help me. #2 (permalink) Thu Nov 14, 2013 14:13 pm   How much or how many? Please help me.

...and what are your choices?
And show your work. :)))
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
How much or how many? Please help me. #3 (permalink) Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:54 am   How much or how many? Please help me.

please help me. many thanks
Tuyet8
I'm here quite often ;-)

How much or how many? Please help me. #4 (permalink) Fri Nov 15, 2013 13:33 pm   How much or how many? Please help me.

1. How much or how many fruit does your father produce? –I would use ‘How much’ (meaning total mass of fruit), but ‘how many’ if you think of diversity: apple treas, cherry trees,..

2. What would you like to do at the weekend ? –Not sure I caught the idea. C) seems to be the expected answer provided it ends with ‘…’ You might say, ‘I’d like to do (some cleaning/painting/ironing/… in my house. In my view, D) could also be an answer if you expect something bad happening at/on the coming weekend and would rather go to bed and wake up say, next month.

3. . Do you like pop music ? –B.

4. 17. What time ___A._____ on television?

5. 29. ___D._____long or short?
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

How much or how many? Please help me. #5 (permalink) Fri Nov 15, 2013 13:35 pm   How much or how many? Please help me.

5. should be B. of course, sorry.
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Re: How much or how many? Please help me. #6 (permalink) Fri Nov 15, 2013 14:06 pm   Re: How much or how many? Please help me.

Tuyet8 wrote:
What time ________ on television?
A. is the news B. are the news

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Tuyet:

Please remember: "news" is ALWAYS considered to be SINGULAR.

Here is a very funny true story:

Many years ago, Mr. X owned a powerful newspaper. He always insisted that "news" should be plural.

One day, he asked an employee: "Are there any news today?"

The employee replied: "No, sir. Not a new."
James M
I'm a Communicator ;-)

How much or how many? Please help me. #7 (permalink) Fri Nov 15, 2013 14:25 pm   How much or how many? Please help me.

Thank you James, for the new piece of information/piece of news you shared with us.
Thanks also for 'overlooking' my 'at/on the coming weekend' which should be 'over the coming weekend'.
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

How much or how many? Please help me. #8 (permalink) Fri Nov 15, 2013 14:45 pm   How much or how many? Please help me.

Eugene2114 wrote:
Thanks also for 'overlooking' my 'at/on the coming weekend' which should be 'over the coming weekend'.

Hello, Eugene:

I did NOT overlook it.

I did NOT know that it should be "over."

Could you please explain the reason to me?

James
James M
I'm a Communicator ;-)

How much or how many? Please help me. #9 (permalink) Fri Nov 15, 2013 15:07 pm   How much or how many? Please help me.

James M wrote:
I did NOT know that it should be "over."

Could you please explain the reason to me?

James

Hello James,
I meant it should've been either 'the coming weekend' or 'over the coming weekend' surely? or is it Friday afternoon telling?..
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

How much or how many? Please help me. #10 (permalink) Fri Nov 15, 2013 16:38 pm   How much or how many? Please help me.

Hello, Eugene:

Do I have to use "over"?

Would "What are you planning to do on the coming weekend?" be OK?

James
James M
I'm a Communicator ;-)

How much or how many? Please help me. #11 (permalink) Fri Nov 15, 2013 17:35 pm   How much or how many? Please help me.

Tuyet8 wrote:
please help me. many thanks

You should also make an attempt as OTS observes.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

How much or how many? Please help me. #12 (permalink) Fri Nov 15, 2013 17:37 pm   How much or how many? Please help me.

Eugene2114 wrote:
1. How much or how many fruit does your father produce? –I would use ‘How much’ (meaning total mass of fruit), but ‘how many’ if you think of diversity: apple treas, cherry trees,..

In that case needn't it be 'How many fruits.....?'
I'm a Communicator ;-)

How much or how many? Please help me. #13 (permalink) Fri Nov 15, 2013 17:46 pm   How much or how many? Please help me.

Well, If you expect smth bad happening the coming weekend/next month/next week... Now I feel it's really Friday afternoon, as your sentence sounds OK and mine doesn't take the 'on'. Should fetch a five-year-old James...
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

How much or how many? Please help me. #14 (permalink) Fri Nov 15, 2013 20:19 pm   How much or how many? Please help me.

Anglophile wrote:
Eugene2114 wrote:

In that case needn't it be 'How many fruits.....?'
I agree with you, though I met people considering the sentence 'The store sells different kinds of fruit' as valid as '...fruits'.
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

How much or how many? Please help me. #15 (permalink) Sat Nov 16, 2013 14:34 pm   How much or how many? Please help me.

Having had a conference with the five-year-old, I’m back now to resume where we left off: “This weekend can be interpreted to mean either the nearest weekend in the future or the nearest weekend in the past. The context usually clarifies the meaning, but coming or past can be added to help: The meeting was this weekend. The meeting was this coming weekend. The meeting was this past weekend.
In the first case, I'd think that means that the meeting happened over the weekend that just passed, but it might instead mean that the meeting was scheduled to happen a few days in the future, but was cancelled or moved. In the second and third cases, there's no room for misunderstanding; in the second case the meeting must have been moved, and in the third case the meeting has already happened.” http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/41531/difference-between-coming-weekend-and-this-weekend
So my assumption is that you could say “…if you expect something bad happening the/this coming weekend’ meaning weekend as a whole (‘Friday evening until Sunday night’) according to: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/weekend [“This/Next weekend we're going to see some friends”]
Same can be applied to ‘over the/this coming weekend’ (=during this time).
Saying “What are you planning to do on the coming weekend?”, your sentence could be read as ‘on your day/s off’ stressing the idea ‘day off’ not simply referring to a certain period of time. “We go out once in a while after work and on the weekend.”

If you ask for more, I’m afraid this is all I can come up with at the moment.
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Clear my doubts | You are the last person I'd want/ want & She never has had or has never had.
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Latest topics on English Forums
The city's architectural style has the incorporation.ten days' holiday/ a holiday of ten dayssomething/anythingmatchingSome confuses for positive compare. please help me.Harvesting of sugarcane fields usually begins at the beginning of OctobercorrectionJust simply simple present/ past or subjunctive mood."My Writing" OR "My Writings"Please correctCan I contact any user?am I foolish thaton the fly