exceptional; special; strange; odd; curious
tall
peculiar
tender
necessary

To say the least/ That's the least you could say. Same meaning?

Pronunciation of 'didn't'. Is the 2nd d in 'didn't' BrE voiced or not at all? | Search your heart
To say the least/ That's the least you could say. Same meaning? #1 (permalink) Thu Nov 14, 2013 19:51 pm   To say the least/ That's the least you could say. Same meaning?

Hi everyone,

Read the following situations, then please be so kind as to answer my questions about it.

A man and a woman had been invited by their friends for dinner. When they drive home, they start a conversation:

M: I think dinner was tasteless.
W: Well, that's the least you could say; I even got the impression they were sorry they'd invited us. Is 'the least you could say' correctly used here?

Another situation between two people:

A: I want to apologize to you, because I was very impolite to you.
B: Well, madam, that's the least you could say. Is 'the least...' correctly used here?

And then one more question: My auditory perception of English is not a 100 per cent the same as that of a native speaker. Is this a natural and correct construction?

(also was the Past Perfect used correctly in the second sentence?)

Alexandro
_________________
'Everyone can mistakes! After all, nobody's perfect.'
Alexandro

To say the least/ That's the least you could say. Same meaning? #2 (permalink) Thu Nov 14, 2013 20:19 pm   To say the least/ That's the least you could say. Same meaning?

W: Well, that's the least you could say; I even got the impression they were sorry they'd invited us. Is 'the least you could say' correctly used here? No

Dinner was awful to say the least. Is 'to say the least' correctly used here? Yes

Another situation between two people:

B: Well, madam, that's the least you could say. Is 'the least...' correctly used here? It's possible, though there are better responses.

My auditory perception of English speech is not the samer as that of a native speaker.
My auditory perception of English speech is not 100% accurate.

_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
To say the least/ That's the least you could say. Same meaning? #3 (permalink) Thu Nov 14, 2013 21:17 pm   To say the least/ That's the least you could say. Same meaning?

Thanks BN

I do so wish to have a little more information:

You can say for example and I hope I'm correct now: 'Since your house burnt down, the least I could to help is to lend you this money.'

Also could you give me one example of a better response to: 'Well, madam...

By the way I've noticed some problems with the forum. Sometimes, when I'm already logged in, I have to log in again in order to post the reply. It usually happens when I post a quick reply. When I posted my previous message I was even redirected to a page saying 'Gateway wrong.' Have you had any complaints about that from other members?

Alexandro
_________________
Alexandro

To say the least/ That's the least you could say. Same meaning? #4 (permalink) Thu Nov 14, 2013 21:51 pm   To say the least/ That's the least you could say. Same meaning?

'Since your house burnt down, the least I could to help is to lend you this money.'

That's not quite correct. You could say:
Since your house burnt down, the least I could do to help is lend you this money.

B: Well, madam, I should think so.

Everyone is having the same problems with the website.
_________________

I bought the car in full by non instalment.for/ because/ punctuationthere's no questionHurried or hurriedlyIs ol' shorter than old?Modal - 'can'Time is your best enenmy and your best friendPlease help me to correct the sentencesPlease correctcondemnedMost of the people or most people?as with so muchWhose is that car? V Whose that car is?; One / a man exploits another