Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to add a footnote; to place a note that directs readers to another source of information (in a book, journal, etc.)
reference
grade
should
perceive
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Just simply simple present/ past or subjunctive mood.

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
ten days' holiday/ a holiday of ten days | The city's architectural style has the incorporation.
listening exercises
Just simply simple present/ past or subjunctive mood. #1 (permalink) Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:46 am   Just simply simple present/ past or subjunctive mood.

Hi everyone,

I wonder whether the subjuntive is still very much used in BrE and AmE or not.
So here are a few sentences, I wonder if my subjunctives (Sub) are indeed subs or not and that the other constructions are used more or are more natural in present-day English.

- I insist that my grandmother makes the pizza.
- I insist that my grandmother make the pizza. (Sub)

- I suggest that he never does that again.
- I suggest that he never do that again. (Sub)

- He insisted that I came to his party.
- He insisted that I come to his party. (Sub)

In French the subjunctive or 'subjonctif' is still very much used as in the following sentences:

- Il faut que je m'en aille. (meaning: I have to go)
- Il faut que je m'en vais. (meaning is the same as the first, but written in l'indicatif présent or present tense)

What about the use of the subjunctive in English? Please, try to answer my questions if you have the time.

Thanks
Lex.

Just simply simple present/ past or subjunctive mood. #2 (permalink) Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:46 am   Just simply simple present/ past or subjunctive mood.

Yes, it is still used.
Language Coach

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Just simply simple present/ past or subjunctive mood. #3 (permalink) Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:54 am   Just simply simple present/ past or subjunctive mood.

Hi Alexandro,

Down the left hand side of this site you will see a list of the topics I have written about under the heading 'English Grammar'. If you go down the list you will come to the heading 'Subjunctive', which you find of some use.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Just simply simple present/ past or subjunctive mood. #4 (permalink) Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:40 pm   Just simply simple present/ past or subjunctive mood.

I'm not sure those directions work. You would need to indicate that you mean this section of the site:
http://www.english-test.net/lessons/index.html
Language Coach

Just simply simple present/ past or subjunctive mood. #5 (permalink) Sun Nov 17, 2013 18:42 pm   Just simply simple present/ past or subjunctive mood.

Thanks for that - I was thinking of the Forum site.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Just simply simple present/ past or subjunctive mood. #6 (permalink) Sun Nov 17, 2013 20:11 pm   Just simply simple present/ past or subjunctive mood.

Thanks Beeesneees and Alan.

ten days' holiday/ a holiday of ten days | The city's architectural style has the incorporation.
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
both correct?Please correct.His performance became the benchmark.grammar check requestedgrammar correction requesteddid not open the door for me tosomething/anythingmatchingSome confuses for positive compare. please help me.Harvesting of sugarcane fields usually begins at the beginning of OctobercorrectionYou are the last person I'd want/ want & She never has had or has never had.guess who SAY or guess who SAYS