agreement; business transaction; exchange; amount
semester
consultant
labor
deal

Take a break!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Apologise Putin. | The Music I Love.
Take a break! #226 (permalink) Wed Nov 16, 2016 23:25 pm   Take a break!

Irish Lurker wrote:
Yes but I suppose nearly all parts of our bodies have lots of everyday phrases connected to them?

There sure are, and it would be interesting to bring them up.
For example, if you (not you) have a sharp tongue, you'd better bite your tongue before saying something, because the bad things you want to say, could happen for real; although if you keep silent too much, people would say that cat got your tongue.

Yes?
Monica28

Location: Romania

Take a break! #227 (permalink) Sat Nov 19, 2016 0:45 am   Take a break!

Monica28 wrote:
Irish Lurker wrote:

Yes?

Nein Moni Hoffentlich Mein Zunge ist richtig gut!

Yes its funny how familiar things are used to describe what we mean.
What is also very noticeable is how many things which were very familiar say fifty or a hundred years ago are still used yet are no longer very familiar to us on a day to day basis due to changes in our lifestyle and technology.

btw just from their accents, what part of Britain do you think these ladies are from Monica?

Irish Lurker

Location: Card board box on the Ku'damm

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Take a break! #228 (permalink) Tue Nov 22, 2016 22:39 pm   Take a break!

Irish Lurker wrote:

After a meticulous research "on the go" as Alicja said, I decided eventually:
the lady at the left is from Northern Wales, the one in the middle is from Ireland and the lady at the right is from the South-East of England.

I suppose I should go and see.
In the mean time, if you know, don't keep it for yourself

:-)
Monica28

Location: Romania

Take a break! #229 (permalink) Wed Nov 23, 2016 23:46 pm   Take a break!

Monica28 wrote:
Irish Lurker wrote:

I suppose I should go and see.

:-)

"I suppose I should go and see.
In the mean time, if you know, don't keep it for yourself"

Well good evening Monica and I must say that Sounds really native Monica :-) Almost "Come on don't keep it to yourself" (hurry up :-))

OK I'll "spit it out then" :-) "Glasgow"

"Remember when Hurricane Bawbag was a thing? Glasgow does – it’s a word we’ve attributed to many a pal or an enemy over the years, either in affection or irritation. We won’t give you the literal translation, but we will tell you that it’s another word for a dafty – not to mention a storm which hit Scotland so hard that even trampolines were on the run. It became a world-trending hashtag then – but it’ll always be in the Glasgow vocabulary".

Read more: http://www.wow247.co.uk/2015/06/26/things-youll-hear-in-glasgow/#ixzz4QsGHZ4FA

But don't waste much time on this Monica as I don't want you speaking with a Glasgae Brogue when we're on the French Riviera together and I'm pretending to be posh James Bond. :-)

Of all British Accents I think Scottish is my least favourite. Although Scouse (Liverpool) comes in a close second.
Irish Lurker

Location: Card board box on the Ku'damm

Take a break! #230 (permalink) Thu Nov 24, 2016 23:40 pm   Take a break!

Irish Lurker wrote:
...

I believe I just started being self-important, so if you really like Scottish so much :-) , I promise to speak only French sur la Cote d'azur.
On one condition: when I ask you "Aie right?" you will say "How no?"
Deal?

Let's take a break for the moment and go to Cannes then:

And to Nice:

I think you don't want to miss Monaco:

And Menton, another pearl:

Aie right?

:-)
Monica28

Location: Romania

Take a break! #231 (permalink) Sun Nov 27, 2016 22:56 pm   Take a break!

I did a post on this a few days ago Monica but it seems to have disappeared?

The Thrust of my post war that before WW1 the Cote de Sur must have seemed like a real life utopia? with its idyllic rock and beach formations covered in that era's European Elite all bathed in a special Mediterranean sun. Although I always thought this was a time just before the world lost its innocence. It was a time when you could live in an Agatha Christie murder mystery....on the train to Istanbul. Was it Bees Nees who killed poor Alan or was it Torsten actually my money would be on myself as Bees looks to obvious

Luckily there is an exceptionally convenient train service that operates along the coast which is cheap to use, has a regular service and stops at all of the most important towns and villages.

We use this train a great deal when visiting and highly recommend it. It is also very useful if you are staying in one of the resort towns and want to visit Monaco or Nice, or vice versa.
Irish Lurker

Location: Card board box on the Ku'damm

Take a break! #232 (permalink) Mon Nov 28, 2016 23:12 pm   Take a break!

Irish Lurker wrote:

Yes, I know you're right, because I used the train too, from Nice to Cannes and back and I would have liked to go to San Remo also, but I had to leave it for another time.

However, when I wanted to visit Monaco, I took the local bus which was also cheap and I liked it even more, because the road followed closely the coast and the view of the sea was fantastic all along!
I didn't take pictures but I can see it whenever I want ... with the eyes of my mind, of course. Never will they be deleted from there...
N'est-ce pas?
Monica28

Location: Romania

Take a break! #233 (permalink) Mon Nov 28, 2016 23:53 pm   Take a break!

[quote="Monica28"]
Irish Lurker wrote:
I didn't take pictures but I can see it whenever I want ... with the eyes of my mind, of course. Never will they be deleted from there...N'est-ce pas?

In the late 19th and Early 20th Century I think it was a special place for painters?

Was it Some kind of Abstract movement - Modernism or (Cuboid) Art-Deko or

something. I don't want to look it up as its more fun trying to remember but it was

the whole Sea n Sun n Hard yet Soft n Green Coastline which always looked more

Roman than French and there was something strange about the light in a lot of them?

Perhaps you could pick one of those Paintings Monica? :-)

I think later after WW1 the area became a place of recuperation and was replete with

injured war vets often with arms or legs missing?
Irish Lurker

Location: Card board box on the Ku'damm

Take a break! #234 (permalink) Wed Nov 30, 2016 22:43 pm   Take a break!

Irish Lurker wrote:

You mean a light like this? in the 'Church in Cagne' by Renoir ?

I found interesting things about great painters of 19-th and 20-th centuries, at http://www.dw.com/en/nice-and-the-cote-dazur-in-painting/a-19402872 and I'd like to share them here:

Pierre-Auguste Renoir:
"Renoir had moved to southern France in the hopes that the climate would alleviate his suffering from rheumatism. The famous painter settled in Cagnes-sur-Mer, between Nice and Antibes, in 1903 and lived there until his death in 1919.
His onetime house is today a museum."

There was also Henri-Émile-Benoît Matisse:
"Matisse also spent his later years at the Cote d'Azur. Hoping that the local air would give some relief from his chronic bronchitis, he traveled to Nice in 1917.
After days of rain, he was ready to leave - then suddenly, so goes the legend, the sky shone in turquoise.
"When I became aware that I could see this light every morning, I couldn't believe my good fortune," said the painter and sculptor. He decided to spend the rest of his life there. Matisse died in 1954, and a museum in his memory opened in Nice in 1963.

Marc Chagall has also found special the colours of the French Riviera. The mentioned site says:
"Another important 20th century painter has a museum dedicated to him in Nice: Marc Chagall spent the last 35 years of his life in a nearby village and died there at age 98. It is said that the explosive colors in his often surreal art were inspired by the natural surroundings."

It seems the French Riviera is a super place for painters.
You made me curious, so next time I'm going to look for some art museums.

People who are not painters find here a super place for ... photos! Why?
I felt like taking home with me all I've seen, that beautiful it was!
So I took hundreds of photos, really!
Monica28

Location: Romania

Take a break! #235 (permalink) Thu Dec 01, 2016 0:14 am   Take a break!

Monica28 wrote:

So I took hundreds of photos, really!

"For us today, the Cote d'Azur is coupled with images of paintings that we all carry around in our heads." Which is more or less what I was saying. (Except I have never been.)

Irish Lurker

Location: Card board box on the Ku'damm

Take a break! #236 (permalink) Sat Dec 03, 2016 21:47 pm   Take a break!

With this film I recalled my few-days-trip sur la Cote d'Azur.
I watched it with great interest and remembered the beautiful Nice with all the places I visited by walking or where the touristic train took me, the fantastic view opened before my eyes from the castle hill, the charming little streets of the old town, that "je ne sais quoi" which makes Nice be so special.
Monica28

Location: Romania

Take a break! #237 (permalink) Sat Dec 03, 2016 22:23 pm   Take a break!

Monica28 wrote:
which makes Nice be so special.

Or hows about......?

"Which makes Nice (Kneece) especially Nice(like Mice)"
Irish Lurker

Location: Card board box on the Ku'damm

Take a break! #238 (permalink) Sun Dec 04, 2016 0:14 am   Take a break!

Irish Lurker wrote:
Or hows about......?

Well, Nice is nice when it rhymes with mice but the question is: are there nice mice in Nice?
:-)
Monica28

Location: Romania

Take a break! #239 (permalink) Sun Dec 04, 2016 20:54 pm   Take a break!

Monica28 wrote:
Irish Lurker wrote:
Or hows about......?

:-)

Its not the Mice you need to worry about.

You need to get off your Knees as the dirty Rats are the size of Cats.
Irish Lurker

Location: Card board box on the Ku'damm

Take a break! #240 (permalink) Mon Dec 05, 2016 21:40 pm   Take a break!

Irish Lurker wrote:

... the size of cats? Te parece? doesn't seem to me:

You know what we can learn from this?

"When the 'rat' is bigger than you ... make friends with it. LoLoL LoLoL"

https://www.pinterest.com/lindseybinesy/exotic-pets/
Monica28

Location: Romania

Apologise Putin. | The Music I Love.
Happy New Year!What is Christmas to you?Handwriting of Lord Mountbatten of Burmathe way i see it.Merry Christmas!Christmas tree competition?May must go to Russia and China.Homeless and Living in my Car at 48 Years OldWhat if Angela wins?Riding a Ninebot OnePutin must be very careful!What age is the elusive Torsten DaerrDoes Trump signal the end of Angela Merkel?