after; in back of
considering
behind
save
during

Laura's ex-husband is a dead beat dad...

What is the meaning of expression 'hitch in your giddyup'? | Meaning of "all day long"
Laura's ex-husband is a dead beat dad... #1 (permalink) Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:34 am   Laura's ex-husband is a dead beat dad...

ESL/EFL Test #752 "Death and Dying (1)", question 10

Laura's ex-husband is a dead ......... dad. He refuses to pay child support. He's lazy and doesn't care about his kids at all.

(a) bolt
(b) head
(c) beat
(d) lock

ESL/EFL Test #752 "Death and Dying (1)", answer 10

Laura's ex-husband is a dead beat dad. He refuses to pay child support. He's lazy and doesn't care about his kids at all.

Correct answer: (c) beat
_________________________

My Collins Cobuild Dictionary has such definition of dead beat: "If you are dead-beat, you are very tired and have no energy left."
I understand the meaning of this word in this question is: "lazy person who doesn't care."
Is my assumption wright? If so, could you please give a few more example of usage this word.
Thank you in advance!
Gatherer

Location: Russia

Laura's ex-husband is a dead beat dad... #2 (permalink) Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:19 am   Laura's ex-husband is a dead beat dad...

Usually it applies to a person who reneges on his/her (finantial) obligations, does not do what is expected of him.
A dead beat dad, or just a dead-beat is a dad who fails to pay child support. It's a very common way to refer to a no-good dad.
.
Example: his dad is a dead-beat. :)
.
Also, if you're beat, then you're tired.
_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Laura's ex-husband is a dead beat dad... #3 (permalink) Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:49 am   Laura's ex-husband is a dead beat dad...

The two definitions mentioned are two separate uses of the word.

In the UK, the most common use for 'dead-beat' is tired.
"I'm not coming out tonight. I've had a hard day in work and I'm dead-beat."

It is more common for 'dead-beat' to be applied someone who does not live up to their obligations in the US.
_________________

Laura's ex-husband is a dead beat dad... #4 (permalink) Thu Jan 30, 2014 17:21 pm   Laura's ex-husband is a dead beat dad...

Just a note:
In American English, deadbeat is correctly written as a single word, both as a noun and as an adjective, if you mean something similar to "a person who makes a habit of avoiding or evading his or her responsibilities or debts", which is the intended meaning in the test question. You generally would never spell it as two words unless there were some very special reason for doing so, such as trying to achieve some kind of play on words perhaps.

http://www.onelook.com/?w=deadbeat&ls=a
Even the Urban Dictionary gets the spelling right. ;-)
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dead%20beat%20dad!

If you separate the words (i.e. dead beat), that changes the meaning to something similar to "extremely tired", just as Beeesneees mentioned. People often also say things such as "I'm dead tired."
http://www.onelook.com/?w=dead+beat&ls=a

_________________________________________
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten." ~ George Carlin
Esl_Expert

Location: Rhode Island, USA

Laura's ex-husband is a dead beat dad... #5 (permalink) Thu Jan 30, 2014 18:08 pm   Laura's ex-husband is a dead beat dad...

Most of us here would write 'dead beat' as two words without a hyphen as also dead easy dead hungry dead stupid and so on and so on. I have a feeling that 'deadbeat' as a wastrel is also one word. Also 'deadbeat' as an adjective in a similar vein.
_________________

Order vs. ordersANDuse of 'on' in participal phrasefrom the ground upTest incompl/elem-293, Question 3traveling vs. travellingcome across shadyConditional II questionMeaning of the word defiantpassed vs. pastDifference between the words 'reason' and 'cause'"accommodate my plans" vs. fit my plansDifferences: advantages, reasons, profits, effects