Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!
 
performance; operation; attainment; mission; success
preference
achievement
feed
confidence
full quiz correct answer
 
Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Why / waI /


Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
ESL Forum | Listening, speaking, pronunciation and accent training
Alex Baldwin does a great English accent (for a yank) | Successful experince
listening exercises
Message
Author
Why / waI / #1 (permalink) Tue Feb 11, 2014 16:39 pm   Why / waI /
 

Hello,
As you know "why" is pronounced / wai /
Once, one nonnative English speaker told me: "Do not pronounce "w" while pronouncing "why". Something
like /Oai/ or / ai /

Do you agree with her? Don't you pronounce "w" itself?

Thank you
_________________
Sorry if I don't thank you more than once. I don't want to bother you by filling up a thread with multiple thank yous.
Sb70012
I'm here quite often ;-)


Joined: 10 Sep 2013
Posts: 416

Re: Why / waɪ / #2 (permalink) Tue Feb 11, 2014 17:10 pm   Re: Why / waɪ /
 

The correct pronunciation (phonetically) of why is "[hwai]".
_________________
Anglophile
I know only one thing - that is that I know nothing.
Anglophile
I'm a Communicator ;-)


Joined: 17 Feb 2011
Posts: 4922
Location: India

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Why / waI / #3 (permalink) Tue Feb 11, 2014 17:42 pm   Why / waI /
 

Sb70012 has the pronunciation correct.
The correct pronunciation (phonetically) of why is [waɪ]!

You DO sound the 'w'.
Perhaps the person who said otherwise was thinking of the letter 'h'.
_________________
"Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened."
Terry Pratchett
Beeesneees
Language Coach


Joined: 08 Apr 2010
Posts: 39144
Location: UK, born and bred

Why / waI / #4 (permalink) Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:36 am   Why / waI /
 

Beesnees, in fact I pronounce it like this "Vai"
She told me that I should not pronounce "v" like "vaen"
You understand me now? I pronounce the first letter of "why" like "v" in "van"
So, "vai"
Is it still correct of you hear "v" sound while pronouncing "why"?
_________________
Sorry if I don't thank you more than once. I don't want to bother you by filling up a thread with multiple thank yous.
Sb70012
I'm here quite often ;-)


Joined: 10 Sep 2013
Posts: 416

Why / waI / #5 (permalink) Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:22 am   Why / waI /
 

Unfortunately, I do not think it's correct when you pronounce "Why" as "Vaen".
It does not have a V sound. What Beee said is the "why" sound can be pronounce like "Wy" (drop the letter H sound, h is the silent sound, We don't pronounce it in the word "Why" or hour (sounds like our without "h") ).
Hope it helps

Ps. You can pronounce "why" like "White" without the "T" sound at the end.
Waiyin Cheng
I'm here quite often ;-)


Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 546

Why / waI / #6 (permalink) Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:43 am   Why / waI /
 

Sb70012 wrote:
Is it still correct of you hear "v" sound while pronouncing "why"?

No, that's definitely not correct.
You should always use the "w" consonant sound.
_________________
"He who tries to establish his point by much yelling shows that his reasoning is weak"
-Jodi Ann Arias
Our Tort System
I'm a Communicator ;-)


Joined: 24 May 2010
Posts: 3886
Location: The big apple

Why / waI / #7 (permalink) Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:45 am   Why / waI /
 

Waiyin Cheng wrote:
We don't pronounce it in the word "Why" or hour (sounds like our without "h") ).

Well, while it is true that the "h" in hour is silent, this is not always the case with the "h" in "why":

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/why
_________________
"He who tries to establish his point by much yelling shows that his reasoning is weak"
-Jodi Ann Arias
Our Tort System
I'm a Communicator ;-)


Joined: 24 May 2010
Posts: 3886
Location: The big apple

Why / waI / #8 (permalink) Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:04 am   Why / waI /
 

Sb70012 wrote:
Beesnees, in fact I pronounce it like this "Vai"
She told me that I should not pronounce "v" like "vaen"
You understand me now? I pronounce the first letter of "why" like "v" in "van"
So, "vai"
Is it still correct of you hear "v" sound while pronouncing "why"?

No, definitely not.
_________________
"Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened."
Terry Pratchett
Beeesneees
Language Coach


Joined: 08 Apr 2010
Posts: 39144
Location: UK, born and bred

Why / waI / #9 (permalink) Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:09 am   Why / waI /
 

Our Tort System wrote:
Well, while it is true that the "h" in hour is silent, this is not always the case with the "h" in "why":

Yes, I tend to sound the 'h' in 'why' (also in 'what', 'where', 'which' and 'who'). However, the sound is not at all strongly pronounced. Basically it is just made with a slight exhale of breath. If it is pronounced at all, then it should hardly be noticeable. In fact, you should only here the difference is you listen really carefully to someone pronouncing it and not pronouncing it. (sorry I don't have a microphone at the moment.) If there is any emphasis at all then it is incorrect.
For this reason, I would advise learners NOT to pronounce it, at least until they have the opportunity to hear it in regular use. Generally, people get the wrong idea if you say the 'h' is sounded... because the 'h' is just 'breathed gently'.
_________________
"Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened."
Terry Pratchett
Beeesneees
Language Coach


Joined: 08 Apr 2010
Posts: 39144
Location: UK, born and bred

Why / waI / #10 (permalink) Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:57 am   Why / waI /
 

I see your point,
Thanks for the advice!
_________________
"He who tries to establish his point by much yelling shows that his reasoning is weak"
-Jodi Ann Arias
Our Tort System
I'm a Communicator ;-)


Joined: 24 May 2010
Posts: 3886
Location: The big apple

Why / waI / #11 (permalink) Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:00 am   Why / waI /
 

Sb70012 wrote:
Beesnees, in fact I pronounce it like this "Vai"

BTW, "Vai" sounds like "vie" which is a whole nother ball of wax.
:)
To better illustrate the difference between "w" and "v" better, here are some minimal pairs (they sound the same, but for the first consonant sound):

Why - vie
Wile - vile
Whittle - victual
Whale - veil
_________________
"He who tries to establish his point by much yelling shows that his reasoning is weak"
-Jodi Ann Arias
Our Tort System
I'm a Communicator ;-)


Joined: 24 May 2010
Posts: 3886
Location: The big apple

Why / waI / #12 (permalink) Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:15 am   Why / waI /
 

Bev said:

Quote:
Yes, I tend to sound the 'h' in 'why' (also in 'what', 'where', 'which' and 'who')
.

I can't honestly imagine how you can say 'who' without doing so.
_________________
English as a Second Language
You can read my ESL story Present Simple
Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Joined: 27 Sep 2003
Posts: 17284
Location: UK

Why / waI / #13 (permalink) Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:35 am   Why / waI /
 

I can't honestly see why you feel it necessary to make such a peurile comment about the fact.
_________________
"Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened."
Terry Pratchett
Beeesneees
Language Coach


Joined: 08 Apr 2010
Posts: 39144
Location: UK, born and bred

Why / waI / #14 (permalink) Wed Feb 12, 2014 14:41 pm   Why / waI /
 

If you're going to make comments like that, at least spell it right. At least address what I have said. You have to sound the 'h' if you say 'who', don't you?

Quote:
I can't honestly imagine how you can say 'who' without doing so.

_________________
English as a Foreign Language
You can read my EFL story Progressive Forms
Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Joined: 27 Sep 2003
Posts: 17284
Location: UK

Why / waI / #15 (permalink) Wed Feb 12, 2014 17:14 pm   Why / waI /
 

So I confused two letters when typing. Big deal. You would swear you never did that.
Of course you do. I notice that many of your typos are uncorrected. Would you like help to find one or two?

It looks as if you going to become more and more puerile (happy now?) with each post.
_________________
"Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened."
Terry Pratchett
Beeesneees
Language Coach


Joined: 08 Apr 2010
Posts: 39144
Location: UK, born and bred

Display posts from previous:   
Alex Baldwin does a great English accent (for a yank) | Successful experince
ESL Forum | Listening, speaking, pronunciation and accent training All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Latest topics on English Forums
Pronunciation of "wooed"Speak fluentlypronunciation "stirring"For TOEICŪ base simulatorFor TOEICŪ base simulatorplease check my pronunciationSpeaking Practice: travelWhy / waI /, page 2Lack of confidence or lack of knowledge?Integrated speaking Q3 : evening classesDon't Forget Your Vitamins.The importance of correctly pronouncing people's namesWhat is your most important possession?

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Get FREE English course via e-mail