negotiation; settlement; business deal
decrease
grooming
transaction
period

Partake versus intake

On business versus on job | Why can't we use "slap" here?
Partake versus intake #1 (permalink) Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:30 am   Partake versus intake

ESL/EFL Test #86 "Verbal Communication Skills", question 8

Feel free to visit anything of interest to you in the exhibition and also you can ......... of any of the refreshments available.

(a) retake
(b) undertake
(c) partake
(d) intake

ESL/EFL Test #86 "Verbal Communication Skills", answer 8

Feel free to visit anything of interest to you in the exhibition and also you can partake of any of the refreshments available.

Correct answer: (c) partake
_________________________

partake versus intake?

Werner
Werner

Partake vs. intake #2 (permalink) Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:33 pm   Partake vs. intake

To partake here means to eat or drink.

The noun intake has several definitions: fuel intake, for example, is the quantity of fuel taken in; calorie intake, the quantity of calories taken into the body. An intake of new recruits is a group of new people taken in by an organization. The verb 'take in' is not commonly used in the sense of 'eating/drinking'.

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Difference between simple and veryGrammatical role of 'whatever the circumstances'Meaning of 'job-seeking process'Expression: 'be on for something'Badly behaved (adjective)What does devil mean in this context?Subordinating conjunctions - HELP!Whole versus allMeaning of penchantLent instead of borrowedMeaning of despatchedMeaning and usage of the word "slip"Did you do versus Had you do