to compile; to increase; to accumulate; to grow
jeopardy
trouble
discount
accrue

On business versus on job

Lent instead of borrowed | Partake versus intake
On business versus on job #1 (permalink) Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:36 am   On business versus on job

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #122 "Synonyms for business and employment", question 4

I noticed that you visit Holland very often. Do you go there on ......... or for pleasure?

(a) work
(b) job
(c) calling
(d) business

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #122 "Synonyms for business and employment", answer 4

I noticed that you visit Holland very often. Do you go there on business or for pleasure?

Correct answer: (d) business

I noticed that you visit Holland very often. Do you go there on job or for pleasure?
_________________________

there should be job .... instead of business ... as we say ... we are going some where on job?

Lara
Lara

On business #2 (permalink) Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:58 am   On business

Although you could say that you are going somewhere for your job or for work, the usual phrase is 'to go somewhere on business' or 'to be away on business'.

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Grammatical role of 'whatever the circumstances'Meaning of 'job-seeking process'Expression: 'be on for something'Badly behaved (adjective)What does devil mean in this context?Subordinating conjunctions - HELP!Why can't we use "slap" here?Whole versus allMeaning of penchantMeaning of despatchedMeaning and usage of the word "slip"Did you do versus Had you doFlight was delayed vs. flight had delayed