to raise; to push; to urge; to lift
conjure
style
fax
boost

I try vs. I'm trying

Your little girl usually cries to get her way... | After vs. later
I try vs. I'm trying #1 (permalink) Sat Nov 27, 2004 16:18 pm   I try vs. I'm trying

Test No. incompl/elem-10 "Present Tense", question 10

I ......... to remember your name but I'm afraid I can't remember it.

(a) try
(b) am trying
(c) will trying

Test No. incompl/elem-10 "Present Tense", answer 10

I am trying to remember your name but I'm afraid I can't remember it.

Correct answer: (b) am trying

I try to remember your name but I'm afraid I can't remember it.
_________________________

Which is the difference between "I'm trying" and "I try", please? Can I write down both terms? Thank you
Lucia

I try vs. I'm trying #2 (permalink) Sat Nov 27, 2004 16:36 pm   I try vs. I'm trying

OK, let's take a look:

I'm trying is Present Continuous (Present Progressive)
I try is Present Simple

When you say I'm trying it is happening at the moment of speaking. For example: Please be quiet, I'm trying to fall asleep.

Or you can say Every time I try to fall asleep you start singing your strange songs.

In the second example you describe an action that takes place on a regular basis (every time) and it's not taking place at the moment of speaking and that's why you should use Present Simple.

So, yes both versions are correct if you use them in the appropriate context.

TOEIC short conversations: Confirming an order on the phone.

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
I try vs. I'm trying #3 (permalink) Wed Jul 08, 2009 13:46 pm   I try vs. I'm trying

in this question why i can't use try?
Thank you
Ankur_Mind

I try vs. I'm trying #4 (permalink) Wed Jul 15, 2009 21:17 pm   I try vs. I'm trying

well, i thought of it as being used in a general sense, as in, I have tried to remember his name many times, but have failed to do so (it happens sometimes :) ). Moreover, isn't recall the better word to be used instead of remember (the 2nd occurrence) if 'am trying' is to be used ?
AudGuy

I try vs. I'm trying #5 (permalink) Sun Jul 19, 2009 13:32 pm   I try vs. I'm trying

Yes the answer was stated above by another,but said differently - it is because you CONTINUE to TRY.
Einy

Location: Nyc, USA

I try vs. I'm trying #6 (permalink) Tue Dec 01, 2009 0:52 am   I try vs. I'm trying

dear Torsten
today i received lesson no 10,on the test i scored 7 out 10 first time,I've repeated 3 times till i scored 10 out 10 ,it was so helpful how we should use verb's in present tense and in continuous tense
best wishes
admira
_________________
To be or not to be ,that is the question.
Admira

Location: UK.Bexhill on sea

I try vs. I'm trying #7 (permalink) Mon Apr 19, 2010 21:48 pm   I try vs. I'm trying

Where from the context of the sentense:
"I ......... to remember your name but I'm afraid I can't remember it."
I can get that it is going jast now and not "YOUR name so strange that EVERY TIME when I try to remember your name I CAN'T do it" ?

Thank you,
Aleksey
Simple777

I try vs. I'm trying #8 (permalink) Fri Mar 02, 2012 13:04 pm   I try vs. I'm trying

dear Torsten

I am trying to sleep is the correct sentence
Malsa

Location: Mumbai, India

I try vs. I'm trying #9 (permalink) Tue Sep 18, 2012 19:12 pm   I try vs. I'm trying

Pl. explain why i can't use "I try" instead of "I am trying" in this question.

Leepakshi

I try vs. I'm trying #10 (permalink) Tue Sep 18, 2012 20:36 pm   I try vs. I'm trying

You need the present progressive because it's happening now.

TOEIC listening, question-response: Do you know if we're going to get Christmas bonuses?

I try vs. I'm trying #11 (permalink) Wed Sep 26, 2012 19:55 pm   I try vs. I'm trying

Thanks Torsten. Please send the next lesson.
Leepakshi

Steven held up a convenience store last week.Explain "an all-time high"What is meaning of "knock at"?Why "put up" is not cinsidered as a viable option here?difference between the use of site and placedifference between "severe" and "strict"Why stands instead of calm?Synonyms like the verbs: deal, manage, handle, copeWhy can't I use "appeared in our home" here?Waiting outside in the car? Or "around in the car"?Diffrence between another and "the other"To bite the dustDifference between listen and hear