device used to open locks; button on a board
brand
directory
scratch
key

Why can't we use "slap" here?

Partake versus intake | Subordinating conjunctions - HELP!
Why can't we use "slap" here? #1 (permalink) Mon Oct 23, 2006 20:11 pm   Why can't we use "slap" here?

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #109 "Synonyms for beat", question 6

The fast wind was ......... the window-pane and that sound was driving her crazy.

(a) hitting
(b) whipping
(c) pounding
(d) slapping

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #109 "Synonyms for beat", answer 6

The fast wind was whipping the window-pane and that sound was driving her crazy.

Correct answer: (b) whipping

The fast wind was slapping the window-pane and that sound was driving her crazy.
_________________________

why cant we use "slap" here ?

(like in "to slap a door")

thanks!

Why can't we use "slap" here? #2 (permalink) Mon Oct 23, 2006 21:35 pm   Why can't we use "slap" here?

This question is a bit weird and I think that some people might choose one of the other choices, but probably not "slapping".

"Slapping" is usually used for hitting with something flat, especially the palm or back of your hand. However, other things can slap too. The wind caused the open gate to continuously slap against the outside of the house.
Canadian45

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Difference between simple and veryTook no notice of him vs. looked carefully at himGrammatical role of 'whatever the circumstances'Meaning of 'job-seeking process'Expression: 'be on for something'Badly behaved (adjective)What does devil mean in this context?Whole versus allOn business versus on jobMeaning of penchantLent instead of borrowedMeaning of despatchedMeaning and usage of the word "slip"