slope; grade; slant
coin
consumption
gymnasium
incline

Order vs. orders

AND | Why is this wrong?
Order vs. orders #1 (permalink) Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:06 am   Order vs. orders

Hi Alan,

It has always been confusing to me to use 'order' or 'orders' as in the sentences given below:

1.Mr. Roy will look after the duties of Administrative Officer till further order/orders.
2. I am under orders/order not to allow anyone into the garden.

Souba73
Souba73

Order vs. orders #2 (permalink) Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:27 am   Order vs. orders

Hi Souba,

In both your sentences you need the plural orders. THis means ' strict instructions'. If you used the singular 'order', this would have the sense of a legal requirement as in: Children are not allowed to play games on this grass by order of the Council. The singular form of course is also used when you have arranged to buy something from a shop. About five minutes ago for example I received an email from a store where I had paid for an item of clothing which was not available at that time and the email has just arrived from the store stating: Your order has arrived and so now I can collect it from the shop.

_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Order vs. orders #3 (permalink) Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:50 am   Order vs. orders

Hi Alan,
You mean : orders = strict instruction & order = legal instruction. As per OALD, 'Order' (instruction) is countable noun and OALD has not differentiate 'order' from 'orders'. I would like to know the reference that you have cited. Further, my question is that if a court issues a legal instruction which is also strict, what should I use 'order' or 'orders'.

Souba
Souba73

Order vs. orders #4 (permalink) Mon Apr 28, 2014 13:48 pm   Order vs. orders

I can only repeat that 'order' is an authoritative requirement telling you what you can or can't do and in your example above it would be 'By order of the court'. 'Orders' are written or spoken instructions that should be followed/complied with.
_________________

Order vs. orders #5 (permalink) Mon Apr 28, 2014 14:24 pm   Order vs. orders

Hi Alan,

Do you mean that when we use 'orders', there should not be any legal implications?

souba73
Souba73

AND | Why is this wrong?
Agreement and Disgreement."formidable" instead of "formidible"use of 'on' in participal phrasefrom the ground upLaura's ex-husband is a dead beat dad...His girlfriend sounded crossConditional II questionpassed vs. pastMeaning of "all day long"Difference between the words 'reason' and 'cause'"accommodate my plans" vs. fit my plansDifferences: advantages, reasons, profits, effectsDetached vs. separate