to question formally; to evaluate through questioning
circle
interview
adjust
enrich

Why is this wrong?

Order vs. orders | "formidable" instead of "formidible"
Why is this wrong? #1 (permalink) Thu May 01, 2014 17:58 pm   Why is this wrong?

I just completed a simple present test exercise but I don't understand why the word turning has been chosen as the correct answer.

As I speak fluently in British English, we would say take the second turn to the right whether I know the individual or not. I have copied and pasted the bit in question below. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

correct sentence:
If you take the first left after the post office, you come to Sally's place and if you take the second turning to the right after that you come to the cottage where Andrew lives.

Correct answer: (d) turning

your sentence:
If you take the first left after the post office, you come to Sally's place and if you take the second turn to the right after that you come to the cottage where Andrew lives.
Hip2thabone

Location: United Kingdom

Re: Why is this wrong? #2 (permalink) Thu May 01, 2014 20:59 pm   Re: Why is this wrong?

Hip2thabone wrote:
As I speak fluently in British English,

This statement indicates that you are not as fluent as you think!

However, the reason that has not been accepted is due to the inadequacies of an online test where the computer is only able to accept the exact answer which has been put into the system.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Why is this wrong? #3 (permalink) Fri May 02, 2014 9:57 am   Why is this wrong?

Hi Hip2thabone,

As you are referring to a test that I wrote based on one of my stories, I would like to explain the use of 'turning' in the sentence you have quoted. 'Turn' as a noun is mainly used to describe a movement but in the sentence it isn't a movement that is indicated but one road leading off from another.
_________________

Why is this wrong? #4 (permalink) Fri May 02, 2014 10:43 am   Why is this wrong?

Perhaps I should have made it clearer that both 'turning' and 'turn' are correct.

The difference indicated by Alan is a predominantly BrE distinction.
Turn (noun) - of road/vehicle
3 (especially North American English) (British English also 'turning') a place where a road leads away from the one you are travelling on.
http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/turn_2

The fact remains that 'turn' to indicate one road leading off from another is acceptable, and I presume that anyone marking the question manually rather than by computer would accept both answers.
The question asked in the subject line of this thread is "Why is this wrong?"
The answer is "Because only one variation could be inputted into the computer database, so another variation, although correct, was not accepted because of the machine's limitations."
_________________

Agreement and Disgreement.ANDuse of 'on' in participal phrasefrom the ground upHis girlfriend sounded crossConditional II questionpassed vs. pastWhat is the difference between "end" and "end up"?Meaning of "all day long"Difference between the words 'reason' and 'cause'"accommodate my plans" vs. fit my plansDifferences: advantages, reasons, profits, effectsDetached vs. separate