Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to help; to assist
fluctuate
aid
fail
hire
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Is this a set phrase: "best of all"?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Want to find out who drove the red car | Meaning of 'most out of'?
listening exercises
Is this a set phrase: "best of all"? #16 (permalink) Sat May 21, 2011 12:56 pm   Is this a set phrase: "best of all"?

"Best of all" does doesn't mean "first of all". It means, that it's the most favourite out of all the rest. The phrase "next of all" simply doesn't exist in English so nobody would use it.

TOEIC listening, photographs: At the lathe
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Is this a set phrase: "best of all"? #17 (permalink) Sat May 21, 2011 13:16 pm   Is this a set phrase: "best of all"?

Hi,

'Next of all' is not a grammatically correct expression at all. It doesn't mean secondly.
Language Coach

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Is this a set phrase: "best of all"? #18 (permalink) Sun May 22, 2011 12:21 pm   Is this a set phrase: "best of all"?

Oh, yes.....
I see.

Thanks!!!
Pengbunheang
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Re: Is this a set phrase: "best of all"? #19 (permalink) Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:49 am   Re: Is this a set phrase: "best of all"?

I chose "before of all" because I think if the answer is "best" it will have "the".
Now, I see other choice.
Thank you so much
Dongquy

Is this a set phrase: "best of all"? #20 (permalink) Tue Jul 19, 2011 15:06 pm   Is this a set phrase: "best of all"?

Hi
Your explanation is completely right. But please let me know if I can use this sentence "what exercise do you like next to all".
It is because we must use "to" after next and it means that after doing all of your exercises, what kind of another exercise do you like. Is it true?
Regards
Ebrahim
Ealizadeh

Is this a set phrase: "best of all"? #21 (permalink) Tue Jul 19, 2011 18:32 pm   Is this a set phrase: "best of all"?

No, that sentence is not correct.

'What exercise do you like best of all?' is the correct expression.
Language Coach

Is this a set phrase: "best of all"? #22 (permalink) Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:14 am   Is this a set phrase: "best of all"?

Hi,

Why when we use "best of all" we don't say "the best of all". Or we only say "What exercise do you like doing the best?" ? And How to use "the most favorite" in this sentence?

Thanks.
Wly

Is this a set phrase: "best of all"? #23 (permalink) Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:37 am   Is this a set phrase: "best of all"?

You can add the 'the' is you wish. It will still be correct and won't make any significant difference, though would provide a slight indication that you are making a choice from a more limited range of options (best of all the ones that are being spoken about).

"Which exercise is your favourite one?" or "Which is your favourite exercise?" (You can add 'most' before favourite in both of those if you wish, though they are most commonly written without, as I have here.)
Language Coach

Is this a set phrase: "best of all"? #24 (permalink) Thu May 24, 2012 21:25 pm   Is this a set phrase: "best of all"?

Dear Mr.Torsten,
I got 7 out of 10. Thank you for the explanation. I'm just a bit confused about the level of questions, are the grammar tests the same for all advanced, intermediate and elementary levels?
Fariba Effort
You can meet me at english-test.net

Is this a set phrase: "best of all"? #25 (permalink) Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:58 am   Is this a set phrase: "best of all"?

It means 'what excercise do you like doing the most?' Am I right?
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Want to find out who drove the red car | Meaning of 'most out of'?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Why use "all of the flowers" instead of "all the flowers"?testing times vs. testable timesExpression: Would you mind ifMeaning of grantingWhy won and not ended?What does blow mean?Meaning of "I almost drowned"Meaning of "You never did"Difference between turn and turningAt the end of the roadDifference between finish and endDifference between finished and endedWhat does this phrasal verb mean: "Make it up"?