a person who pleads for a cause or propounds an idea; exponent
heckler
orthography
czarina
proponent

(GRE® reading) The evolution of intellgence among early large mammals....

GRE Practice tests Increase your GRE test score with
plus 3.750 GRE word flash cards
ESL Forums | Preparation forum for the GRE® Test
(GRE® reading)Traditionally, pollination by wind... | (GRE® reading)Initially the Vinaver theory that Malory‘s eight romances...
(GRE reading) The evolution of intellgence among early large mammals.... #1 (permalink) Mon May 12, 2014 4:30 am   (GRE reading) The evolution of intellgence among early large mammals....

The evolution of intelligence among early large mammals of the grasslands was due in great measure to the interaction between two ecologically synchronized groups of these animals, the hunting carnivores and the herbivores that they hunted. The interaction resulting from the differences between predator and prey led to a general improvement in brain functions; however, certain components of intelligence were improved far more than others.

The kind of intelligence favored by the interplay of increasingly smarter catchers and increasingly keener escapers is defined by attention — that aspect of mind carrying consciousness forward from one moment to the next. It ranges from a passive, free-floating awareness to a highly focused, active fixation. The range through these states is mediated by the arousal system, a network of tracts converging from sensory systems to integrating centers in the brain stem. From the more relaxed to the more vigorous levels, sensitivity to novelty is increased. The organism is more awake, more vigilant; this increased vigilance results in the apprehension of ever more subtle signals as the organism becomes more sensitive to its surroundings. The processes of arousal and concentration give attention its direction. Arousal is at first general, with a flooding of impulses in the brain stem; then gradually the activation is channeled. Thus begins concentration, the holding of consistent images. One meaning of intelligence is the way in which these images and other alertly searched information are used in the context of previous experience. Consciousness links past attention to the present and permits the integration of details with perceived ends and purposes.

The elements of intelligence and consciousness come together marvelously to produce different styles in predator and prey. Herbivores and carnivores develop different kinds of attention related to escaping or chasing. Although in both kinds of animal, arousal stimulates the production of adrenaline and norepinephrine by the adrenal glands, the effect in herbivores is primarily fear, whereas in carnivores the effect is primarily aggression. For both, arousal attunes the animal to what is ahead. Perhaps it does not experience forethought as we know it, but the animal does experience something like it. The predator is searchingly aggressive, inner-directed, tuned by the nervous system and the adrenal hormones, but aware in a sense closer to human consciousness than, say, a hungry lizard’s instinctive snap at a passing beetle. Using past events as a framework, the large mammal predator is working out a relationship between movement and food, sensitive to possibilities in cold trails and distant sounds —and yesterday’s unforgotten lessons. The herbivore prey is of a different mind. Its mood of wariness rather than searching and its attitude of general expectancy instead of anticipating are silk-thin veils of tranquillity over an explosive endocrine system.

24. According to the passage, as the process of arousal in an organism continues, all of the following may occur EXCEPT

the production of adrenaline

B
the production of norepinephrine

C
a heightening of sensitivity to stimuli

D
an increase in selectivity with respect to stimuli

E
an expansion of the range of states mediated by the brain stem

I did this question and chose the correct answer, E, but I cannot find where choice D (the increase in selectivity) is indicated in the article. Please help, thanks!
Peterwu1988

(GRE reading) The evolution of intellgence among early large mammals.... #2 (permalink) Mon May 12, 2014 14:35 pm   (GRE reading) The evolution of intellgence among early large mammals....

I think it is where the passage says: "From the more relaxed to the more vigorous levels, sensitivity to novelty is increased." and "apprehension of ever more subtle signals"

GRE Test Preparation — Improve your Score with 750 free GRE Vocabulary TestsGRE Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise GRE scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportGRE Practice Tests — Learn the most essential GRE vocabulary words you need to pass the GRE with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card system
(GRE reading) The evolution of intellgence among early large mammals.... #3 (permalink) Tue May 13, 2014 3:42 am   (GRE reading) The evolution of intellgence among early large mammals....

Oh...hard for me to notice. Thanks
Peterwu1988

ESL Forums | Preparation forum for the GRE® Test All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Latest topics on GRE Test Forums
The increased reliance on tech will cause the humans ability to think to deterior(Readings) Electride(Reading) Pinnipeds, sea lions and walruses(Argument 1) Are the baskets all made by the Paleans?(Reading) sociobiology of temite and rhesus macaquesGRE® argument essay: Honor code systemGRE® issue essay: Nation greatnessGRE® argument essay: Should a company use Alpha or Zeta?Argument 71 essay: Letter to newspaper editor about traffic in Waymarsh(GRE® reading)Modern archaeological finds can still contribute.....Will technology mean humans stop thinking for themselves?(Issue 1) technology reduces our ability to thinkGRE® Study Partner for 20 days