of great worth; costly; cherished; dear; important
valuable
fraudulent
downtown
practical

Use of 'MANY alternatives': Who does Usage Panel consist of?

Difference between hold and keep | 'Come in' versus 'Come on in'
Use of 'MANY alternatives': Who does Usage Panel consist of? #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:58 am   Use of 'MANY alternatives': Who does Usage Panel consist of?

(Sorry if my question is not relevant to this forum’s section.)

alternative n.
a. The choice between two mutually exclusive possibilities.
b. A situation presenting such a choice.
c. Either of these possibilities. See Synonyms at ‘choice’.

Of course, I know that ‘There are many alternatives.’ is in use. In usage…
As a matter of fact. Just because. Etc.

But my question is about this:
Usage Note: Some traditionalists hold that alternative should be used only in situations where the number of choices involved is exactly two, because of the word's historical relation to Latin alter, "the other of two." Despite the word's longstanding use to mean "one of a number of things from which only one can be chosen" and the acceptance of this usage by many language critics, a substantial portion of the Usage Panel adheres to the traditional view, with only 49 percent accepting the sentence Of the three alternatives, the first is the least distasteful
Alternative is also sometimes used to refer to a variant or substitute in cases where there is no element of choice involved, as in We will do our best to secure alternative employment for employees displaced by the closing of the factory. This sentence is unacceptable to 60 percent of the Usage Panel.·Alternative should not be confused with alternate. Correct usage requires The class will meet on alternate (not alternative) Tuesdays.
© http://www.thefreedictionary.com/alternative

I'm not a linguist and not aware of the tradition of such kind of language validation (Usage techniques).

Could you comment a bit that Usage Panel and the 'pass mark' value (should it be 50% + 1? :)).
How is that 'unacceptable to n%' obtained (in general case)? By interviewing? Polling? :?

Do you use 'many alternatives'? :)
_________________
It’s impossible to learn swimming without entering the water…
Tamara

Use of 'MANY alternatives': Who does Usage Panel consist of? #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 13:28 pm   Use of 'MANY alternatives': Who does Usage Panel consist of?

.
Yes, I use 'many alternatives'.

I am not aware of the precise criteria for their statistics, but if you search the source site, you may find some information on this matter. The Usage Panel themselves are listed HERE.
.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Use of 'MANY alternatives': Who does Usage Panel consist of? #3 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 14:47 pm   Use of 'MANY alternatives': Who does Usage Panel consist of?

Yes

Thank you, Mister Micawber, for the answer.

…You perhaps mean that each dictionary just has its own Usage Panel (of experts)?
OK…
_________________
Tamara

Use of 'MANY alternatives': Who does Usage Panel consist of? #4 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 15:00 pm   Use of 'MANY alternatives': Who does Usage Panel consist of?

.
I don't know that they all have usage panels. The only one I've noticed on the internet is the American Heritage Dictionary's, which is the one you quoted (the Free Dictionary quotes from other sources).
.
_________________

Use of 'MANY alternatives': Who does Usage Panel consist of? #5 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 15:15 pm   Use of 'MANY alternatives': Who does Usage Panel consist of?

Mister Micawber wrote:
is the American Heritage Dictionary's, which is the one you quoted (the Free Dictionary quotes from other sources)

Ah!
Now I've found the reference... a bit below of what I had quoted :)

Sorry my inattention and this careless question... :oops:
_________________
Tamara

Meaning of expression: let one's commentMeaning of "Cutting Edge"Meaning of 'He was taken off his round''Climb up' versus 'Climb over'Expression: 'According to me'The use of 'as per': 'Enclosed is the shipment...'Error Identification: the universal problem of evil as...Idiom: 'On the up and up'Action vs ActivityPrice indication letterThe meaning of student in BrEAbove-mentioned vs. Above-namedExpression: Do eyebrows