to list; to describe; to specify; to assign
detail
emulate
merchandise
reinforce

Took no notice of him vs. looked carefully at him

Difference between simple and very | Expression: I didn't hear what you said
Took no notice of him vs. looked carefully at him #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:00 am   Took no notice of him vs. looked carefully at him

English Idioms and Expressions, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #6 "Privacy", question 7

She looked straight through him as soon as he entered the room.

(a) turned round
(b) looked carefully at him
(c) took no notice of him
(d) didn't speak to him

ESL/EFL Test #6 "Privacy", answer 7

She took no notice of him as soon as he entered the room.

Correct answer: (c) took no notice of him

She looked carefully at him as soon as he entered the room.
_________________________

Sorry but I am really unable to realize (c) is correct. In my opinion, if (c) is inserted into the sentence, it's going to be incorrect both in meaning of the phrases and in logic of the sentence.
Haihao

Location: Japan

Took no notice of him vs. looked carefully at him #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:18 am   Took no notice of him vs. looked carefully at him

Hmm. Interesting.
In Russian look through /see through can also be tricky for non-native speakers, as it actually can have two quite different meanings.

One meaning is 'to take no notice' (intentionally, in a demonstrative manner).
Another is to understand smb hidden intentions with great ease, to read him like an open book. ('I can see through him.')

By the way, do you use in English another saying to look through one's fingers at smth (Russian version)? In the meaning ‘to shut one's eyes to smth’?

(Sorry for my breaking into...)
_________________
It’s impossible to learn swimming without entering the water…
Tamara

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Look straight through #3 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:32 am   Look straight through

Hi Haihao,

I can understand your comment about this expression not being 'logical'. What you have to realise is that idioms are not logical and this is an idiomatic expression. Look 'straight through' suggests that you don't accept the person is there and so 'look through' suggests that the person is invisible and so we come to the meaning 'take no notice of'

_________________

Took no notice of him vs. looked carefully at him #4 (permalink) Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:13 am   Took no notice of him vs. looked carefully at him

Hi Alan,

Thank you so much for your explanation. Now I understand the 'illogicality' is mine owing to my lack of knowledge for idiomatic expression. Thank you too, Tamara, for your tip. It's interesting and helpful.

Haihao
Haihao

Location: Japan

Transitive vs. intransivite verbsMeaning of thrashDifference between chew and swallowUse the expression 'change my mind'Confusion over VERSUS confusion betweenMeaning of "all kinds of"Grammatical role of 'whatever the circumstances'Meaning of 'job-seeking process'Expression: 'be on for something'Badly behaved (adjective)What does devil mean in this context?Subordinating conjunctions - HELP!Why can't we use "slap" here?