very well; excellent
sternly
anyway
directly
fine

The use of 'as per': 'Enclosed is the shipment...'

'Climb up' versus 'Climb over' | Error Identification: the universal problem of evil as...
The use of 'as per': 'Enclosed is the shipment...' #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 14:05 pm   The use of 'as per': 'Enclosed is the shipment...'

Could you please tell me how you find the usage of as per in the following sentence?

“Enclosed is the shipment of #2 toggle bolts as per your order of June 14”

In fact, I had been using as per in the same sense up until now, but recently read that it is not only redundant but also ugly. :shock:

Could you please tell me why?

The use of 'as per': 'Enclosed is the shipment...' #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 16:01 pm   The use of 'as per': 'Enclosed is the shipment...'

.
May I ask where you read this, Tom?

'As per' doesn't sound at all unusual to me in the type of sentence you wrote and the phrase is used widely.

If you wanted to sound more formal and "elegant", you might say 'in accordance with' instead. But I would argue that could sound like overkill in some contexts.

_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
The use of 'as per': 'Enclosed is the shipment...' #3 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 17:17 pm   The use of 'as per': 'Enclosed is the shipment...'

OK, Amy

See the link!

Common Errors in English

The use of 'as per': 'Enclosed is the shipment...' #4 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 19:50 pm   The use of 'as per': 'Enclosed is the shipment...'

Hi Tom

Thanks for the link. I liked the alternative sentence that was given there:

"Enclosed is the shipment of bolts you ordered June 14."

That eliminates both "as per" and "in accordance with" quite nicely. :mrgreen:

Please note what your linked page is called: "Common Errors"
And "Common" is exactly right: The sentence you posted was an extremely typical one. :lol:

_________________

The use of 'as per': 'Enclosed is the shipment...' #5 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 20:05 pm   The use of 'as per': 'Enclosed is the shipment...'

Yankee wrote:

How come? I don`t even understand the sentence. :<
SkiIucK

The use of 'as per': 'Enclosed is the shipment...' #6 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 20:06 pm   The use of 'as per': 'Enclosed is the shipment...'

Thanks a lot, Amy for all your time and support! I am grateful! :D

Now, Amy, I am left with two questions:

First, if a native American/ English teacher like you finds no problem with as per in the sentence in question, then why consider it incorrect? If your experienced ears found it OK, then why go after bookish knowledge? In fact, I was quite at ease when you also found the use of as per OK there. Then I told myself not to worry about that bookish knowledge and go on with the use the same way I had been going on. Because such rules make things all the more difficult for non-native speakers like us--but now you seem to be speaking in favour of the link here--poor Tom! :oops:

Could you please discuss it a bit further?

Amy wrote:
The sentence you posted was an extremely typical one.

If memory serves me correctly, you once mentioned that typical means standard. Could you please shed some more light on the quoted sentence?

The use of 'as per': 'Enclosed is the shipment...' #7 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 21:33 pm   The use of 'as per': 'Enclosed is the shipment...'

SkiIucK wrote:

The sentence is typical of the sort of sentences written in business and the "as per" usage is also typical in that context.

Was this sentence understandable:

_________________

Error vs. standard? #8 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 21:41 pm   Error vs. standard?

Tom wrote:
Now, Amy, I am left with two questions:

First, if a native American/ English teacher like you finds no problem with as per in the sentence in question, then why consider it incorrect? If your experienced ears found it OK, then why go after bookish knowledge? In fact, I was quite at ease when you also found the use of as per OK there. Then I told myself not yo worry about that bookish knowledge and go on with the use the same way I had been going on. Because such rules make things all the more difficult for non-native speakers like us--but now you seem to be speaking in favour of the link here--poor Tom! :oops:

Hi Tom,

The question is how does Brian Paul determine which phrase should be classified as an error and which is standard? When does an error become standard? There are obvious mistakes such as advices/advice and there are cases in which Brian Paul sets his own standard.

TOEIC listening, photographs: People shopping

The use of 'as per': 'Enclosed is the shipment...' #9 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 22:15 pm   The use of 'as per': 'Enclosed is the shipment...'

Hi Tom

Technically speaking, the word "as" probably is redundant, but I think the phrase should simply be seen as idiomatic. It is widely used and is typical in the sort of context your sentence illustrated. When I write "typical" I mean "usual" or "normal". It is also worth noting that the author of the website didn't actually recommend using "in accordance with" -- that was simply given as the definition. Ultimately, the recommended sentence excluded both phrases.

Tom, you will find plenty of disagreements about plenty of things in English. Some experts will tell you A is correct, and then other experts will tell you B is correct, and then still other experts will tell you that only C is correct. And it's quite likely that A, B and C are all "correct" to one degree or another. :lol:

I noticed that the website also had the word "issue" listed. The use of 'issue' to mean 'problem' is relatively new and I myself still laugh at it because it often seems to be nothing more than a denial of reality: There is, in fact, a problem. :lol: But this is another usage that you'll hear and read everywhere, so how can it really be "wrong"?

I haven't read everything on the site, but based on a quick sampling, I'd agree with Torsten's take on things.

_________________

The use of 'as per': 'Enclosed is the shipment...' #10 (permalink) Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:35 am   The use of 'as per': 'Enclosed is the shipment...'

Yankee wrote:
Was this sentence understandable:

With the help of the dictionary, yes. :oops: :blush:
SkiIucK

Use the expression "most probably"As a matter of glissYour looks are laughable, unphotographable, Yet...Pure air vs. Clear airMeaning of expression: let one's commentMailshot(s) = junk mail?Comparative DegreeMeaning of "Cutting Edge"Meaning of 'He was taken off his round''Come in' versus 'Come on in'Expression: 'According to me'Difference between hold and keepIdiom: 'On the up and up'