area; territory; domain; field; area of activity or interest; sphere
mailing
reimbursement
region
journal

Expression: 'According to me'

Price indication letter | Meaning of 'He was taken off his round'
Expression: 'According to me' #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 14:07 pm   Expression: 'According to me'

Could we say 'According to me' in spoken English?
Is it standard?

Expression: 'According to me' #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 15:37 pm   Expression: 'According to me'

Hi Tom

I think the possible use of "according to me" would depend very much on the context (of the conversation). Grammatically, there's nothing wrong with it.

How do you think it might be used?

_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Expression: 'According to me' #3 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 17:30 pm   Expression: 'According to me'

Thanks a lot, Amy

According to him, the only reason to hold this party is to have our customers bound to us.

According to me, the only reason to hold this party is to have our customers bound to us.

Do you use according to me in your conversation? Does it sound as natural to you as according to him/ her?

Expression: 'According to me' #4 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 17:37 pm   Expression: 'According to me'

I`ve read that "according to me" is grammatically incorrect. I cannot refute a native speaker`s opinion, though.
SkiIucK

Expression: 'According to me' #5 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 17:39 pm   Expression: 'According to me'

Hi tom,

According to someone else seems acceptable because you are interpreting what a second or third person believes/thinks but to refer it to yourself sounds a bit weird. It would be like me saying: Alan thinks that .... Preferable would be something like: In my opinion .. As I see it ...

_________________

Expression: 'According to me' #6 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 19:30 pm   Expression: 'According to me'

SkiIucK wrote:
I`ve read that "according to me" is grammatically incorrect.

Hi SkiIuck (and Tom :wink:)

Grammatically, the phrase is 100% correct. But grammatical correctness is never a guarantee that the usage is correct. Unless you are attempting some irony or have some sort of very special reason to say "according to me", using this phrase would simply sound weird -- as Alan noted.

_________________

Expression: 'According to me' #7 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 19:41 pm   Expression: 'According to me'

Well, I expressed myself wrong. I meant that I had taken a test where there (?) was a question with two answers - correct and incorrect, and I chose correct. It came out to be incorrect. :D, Pff...

http://www.englishlearner.com/tests/advanced_grammar_test_1.shtml

There is the link.
SkiIucK

Expression: 'According to me' #8 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 20:23 pm   Expression: 'According to me'

Hi SkiIucK

Sorry to hear about your test-taking misfortune. :wink:

It's true that this phrase is sometimes (mis)used where "in my opinion" or "as I see it" etc. would be better. But, if I were you, I'd follow the advice of that test, and steer clear of using it that way. :lol:

I didn't want to write a lot more than I did in my first post until I was sure what Tom had in mind with his question.

_________________

Your looks are laughable, unphotographable, Yet...Meaning of expression: let one's commentMailshot(s) = junk mail?Meaning of "Cutting Edge"'Climb up' versus 'Climb over''Come in' versus 'Come on in'The use of 'as per': 'Enclosed is the shipment...'Error Identification: the universal problem of evil as...Difference between hold and keepIdiom: 'On the up and up'Action vs ActivityUse of 'MANY alternatives': Who does Usage Panel consist of?The meaning of student in BrE