commemorate; record
contaminate
memorialize
quaff
waylay

(GRE® reading)Initially the Vinaver theory that Malory‘s eight romances...

GRE Practice tests Increase your GRE test score with
plus 3.750 GRE word flash cards
ESL Forum | Preparation forum for the GRE® Test
(GRE® reading) The evolution of intellgence among early large mammals.... | GRE® argument essay: Should a company use Alpha or Zeta?
(GRE reading)Initially the Vinaver theory that Malory‘s eight romances... #1 (permalink) Thu May 29, 2014 8:11 am   (GRE reading)Initially the Vinaver theory that Malory‘s eight romances...

Please help me with the following questions, thanks!

Initially the Vinaver theory that Malory‘s eight
romances, once thought to be fundamentally unified.
were in fact eight independent works produced both a
Line sense of relief and an unpleasant shock. Vinaver‘s
5 theory comfortably explained away the apparent
contradictions of chronology and made each romance
independently satisfying. It was, however, disagreeable
to find that what had been thought of as one book was
now eight books. Part of this response was the natural
10 reaction to the disturbance of set ideas. Nevertheless,
even now, after lengthy consideration of the theory‘s
refined but legitimate observations, one cannot avoid
the conclusion that the eight romances are only one
work. It is not quite a matter of disagreeing with the
15 theory of independence, but of rejecting its implications:
that the romances may be taken in any or no particular
order, that they have no cumulative effect, and that they
are as separate as the works of a modern novelist.

6. The author of the passage concedes which of the
following about the Vinaver theory?
(A) It gives a clearer understanding of the unity of
Malory‘s romances.
(B) It demonstrates the irrationality of considering
Malory‘s romances to be unified.
(C) It establishes acceptable links between Malory‘s
romances and modern novels.
(D) It unifies earlier and later theories concerning
the chronology of Malory‘s romances.
(E) It makes valid and subtle comments about
Malory‘s romances.

The answer is E, but I cannot find any mistakes of choice B. The Vinaver theory says the chronology was wrong (which means previous assumption of viewing them as unified is wrong and irrational), in this sense, B sould be correct

20. It can be inferred from the passage that, in evaluating the Vinaver theory, some critics were
(A) frequently misled by the inconsistencies in Malory’s work
(B) initially biased by previous interpretations of Malory’s work
(C) conceptually displeased by the general interpretation that Vinaver rejected
(D) generally in agreement with Vinaver’s comparisons between Malory and modern novelists
(E) originally skeptical about Vinaver’s early conclusions with respect to modern novels

The correct answer is B, but C also seems valid.

May you help me point out where my logic fallacies are? Thanks
Peterwu1988

(GRE reading)Initially the Vinaver theory that Malory‘s eight romances... #2 (permalink) Fri May 30, 2014 4:12 am   (GRE reading)Initially the Vinaver theory that Malory‘s eight romances...

6. At first I too thought B might be correct, but the author is saying that even if the romances were independent works, they are best read in a "particular order", they still have "a cumulative effect" and that they work together, much like the books of a modern novelist. So seeing them as being unified in some way is not irrational. I thought the answer E was extremely wishy-washy, but it is still undeniably true I guess.

20. B seems pretty clearly correct to me - "It was … disagreeable to find that what they had thought of as one book was now 8 books. Part of this response was the natural reaction to the disturbance of set ideas" There is no indication that there was a "conceptual displeasure" of the previous theory, that they were all one work. The only mention of a problem with this earlier theory was the "apparent contradictions of chronology", which I don't think is strong enough to support a "conceptual displeasure".

GRE Test Preparation — Improve your Score with 750 free GRE Vocabulary TestsGRE Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise GRE scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportGRE Practice Tests — Learn the most essential GRE vocabulary words you need to pass the GRE with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card system
(GRE reading)Initially the Vinaver theory that Malory‘s eight romances... #3 (permalink) Fri May 30, 2014 6:50 am   (GRE reading)Initially the Vinaver theory that Malory‘s eight romances...

Oh I see.....Maybe I was too tired that I misunderstood 20.(C) . If the choice is "conceptually displeased by the general interpretation that Vinaver 「suggested」", will it be correct?
Peterwu1988

(GRE reading)Initially the Vinaver theory that Malory‘s eight romances... #4 (permalink) Fri May 30, 2014 22:17 pm   (GRE reading)Initially the Vinaver theory that Malory‘s eight romances...

Peterwu1988 wrote:

Yes, in that case I think it would be correct - watch out though, there is sometimes more than one answer that could be interpreted as correct, but they are looking for the "best" answer, the one that is most clearly correct.

(GRE reading)Initially the Vinaver theory that Malory‘s eight romances... #5 (permalink) Sat May 31, 2014 11:41 am   (GRE reading)Initially the Vinaver theory that Malory‘s eight romances...

I see. Thank you very much!
Peterwu1988

ESL Forum | Preparation forum for the GRE® Test All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Latest topics on GRE Test Forums
The increased reliance on tech will cause the humans ability to think to deterior(Readings) Electride(Reading) Pinnipeds, sea lions and walruses(Argument 1) Are the baskets all made by the Paleans?(Reading) sociobiology of temite and rhesus macaquesGRE® argument essay: Honor code systemGRE® issue essay: Nation greatnessArgument 71 essay: Letter to newspaper editor about traffic in Waymarsh(GRE® reading)Traditionally, pollination by wind...(GRE® reading)Modern archaeological finds can still contribute.....Will technology mean humans stop thinking for themselves?(Issue 1) technology reduces our ability to thinkGRE® Study Partner for 20 days