rebound; recoiling; sudden movement to the rear
law
supplement
advice
backlash

Meaning of 'He was taken off his round'

Expression: 'According to me' | The meaning of student in BrE
Meaning of 'He was taken off his round' #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 18:44 pm   Meaning of 'He was taken off his round'

He was taken off his round.

Am I right supposing that round here means duties (job)?
_________________
It’s impossible to learn swimming without entering the water…
Tamara

'He was taken off his round.' #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 19:33 pm   'He was taken off his round.'

Hi Tamara

Do you happen to know what sort of job "he" has?

_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
'He was taken off his round.' #3 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 19:35 pm   'He was taken off his round.'

Hi Tamara,

'Round' can often be used for the sort of work done by someone delivering something along a certain route as in a postman's/a milkman's/a newspaperboy's round.

_________________

'He was taken off his round.' #4 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 22:11 pm   'He was taken off his round.'

Some kind of a regular (deliverance) route, yes.

Hmm… how interesting… I made the assumption only because in Russian we use the fixed expression
a round of duties quite often (and not only for job duties).

OK. I’ve got the round -point.

...Can I also suppose (from the above phrase with taken off, purely) that "he" was not given the sack, but just demoted or removed from his duties (temporarily?) and allocated to some other responsibilities/tasks (more likely for lower salary).
Or it's not enough?
_________________
Tamara

Your looks are laughable, unphotographable, Yet...Meaning of expression: let one's commentMailshot(s) = junk mail?Comparative DegreeMeaning of "Cutting Edge"'Climb up' versus 'Climb over''Come in' versus 'Come on in'The use of 'as per': 'Enclosed is the shipment...'Error Identification: the universal problem of evil as...Difference between hold and keepIdiom: 'On the up and up'Action vs ActivityUse of 'MANY alternatives': Who does Usage Panel consist of?