shabby; base; despicable
substantive
sleazy
disquieted
curdled

(Argument 1) Are the baskets all made by the Paleans?

GRE Practice tests Increase your GRE test score with
plus 3.750 GRE word flash cards
ESL Forums | Preparation forum for the GRE® Test
(Reading) sociobiology of temite and rhesus macaques | (Reading) Pinnipeds, sea lions and walruses
(Argument 1) Are the baskets all made by the Paleans? #1 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2014 13:16 pm   (Argument 1) Are the baskets all made by the Paleans?

Please help me with this essay, thanks a lot!

Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, however, archaeologists discovered such a "Palean" basket in Lithos, an ancient village across the Brim River from Palea. The Brim River is very deep and broad, and so the ancient Paleans could have crossed it only by boat, and no Palean boats have been found. Thus it follows that the so-called Palean baskets were not uniquely Palean.

Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

The argument based on the several observations mentioned seem somehow convincing at first glance, however, if assessed cautiously, many flaws and points needed to be made clearer would appear, representing the untenable nature of this argument. The truth behind the recently found baskets can be further discussed by looking from several, more objective, perspectives.
The argument suggests that because additional baskets of identical pattern has been found near the ancient village of Palea, and because concrete evidence is absent to support that there have been ships to transport the baskets, the baskets must have been made by hands outside the village of Palea. However, many logic fallacies can be found in it.
At first, the argument says the river “is” very deep. People with basic knowledge of geography all know that the earth’s sufaces change throughout time. While plains can rise to be mountains, rivers also can form or disappear if certain climate appears. The Brim River is unconquerable today doesn’t mean there was no way for ancient people to get through it since the river might be shallower and narrower, or did not even exist. The ancient people of Palea might have invented the method to manufacture baskets and then spread the technique outside the village by walking or riding animals.
Secondly, the argument says ancient people could only have access to the other side of the river by boats. If the river was deep and broad like today is, would boats be their only solution? Ancient construction such as bridges which haven’t been found might have served as a medium for them to trade and communicate. And there is possibility that their boats was not found because they were made of wooden materials, which can easily decompose. Even if they could use more durable materials to build their boats, those boats not yet corrupted may stay unexcavated because there is no evidence provided in the argument to show how professional the researchers are. They might range from amateurs to trained scientists, which means certain important part of the research, for example, debris left by ancient boats, might be ignored.
For the above mentioned reasons, the conclusion drawn by the argument appears to be lame and susceptible to criticism. If more solid proof can be presented with more logical elucidation to clarify the above questions, the argument may be more persuasive.
Peterwu1988

Re: (Argument 1) Are the baskets all made by the Paleans? #2 (permalink) Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:05 am   Re: (Argument 1) Are the baskets all made by the Paleans?

Hi Peter, I thought you did a very good job with this one. One other argument I have heard for this question notes that woven baskets float of course, so many baskets made in Palea may have been lost in floods or by people accidentally dropping the baskets in the river, allowing them to float across the river to the Lithos side, where they were found by the archaeologists.

Peterwu1988 wrote:

The argument based on the several observations mentioned seem somehow convincing at first glance, however, if assessed cautiously, many flaws and points needed to be made clearer would appear, representing the untenable nature of this argument. The truth behind the recently found baskets can be further discussed by looking from several, more objective, {"more objective" than what? A little confusing to me} perspectives.
The argument suggests that because additional baskets of identical pattern ha[ve] been found near the ancient village of Palea, and because concrete evidence is absent to support that there have been ships to transport the baskets, the baskets must have been made by hands outside the village of Palea. However, many logic fallacies can be found in it.{"it" is a little vague "it" is so far from "argument" that I wasn't exactly sure what it referred to - maybe "in this line of reasoning"}
At first, the argument says the river “is” very deep. People with basic knowledge of geography all know that the earth’s [sur]faces {there is only one "surface" to the earth} change throughout time. While plains can rise to be mountains, rivers also can form or disappear if certain climate[s ] appears[appear]. [That] The Brim River is unconquerable today doesn’t {avoid contractions} mean there was no way for ancient people to get through it{"across it" is better} since the river might [have] be[en] shallower and narrower, or did not even exist. The ancient people of Palea might have invented the method to manufacture baskets and then spread the technique outside the village by walking or riding animals.
Secondly, the argument says ancient people could only have access to the other side of the river by boats. If the river was deep and broad like [it is] today is, would boats be their only solution? Ancient construction such as bridges which haven’t been found might have served as a medium for them to trade and communicate. And there is [a ]possibility that their boats was not found because they were made of wooden materials, which can easily decompose. Even if they could [have] use[d ] more durable materials to build their boats, those boats not yet corrupted{"corrupted" is not really correct here} may stay unexcavated because there is no evidence provided in the argument to show how professional the researchers are. They might range from amateurs to trained scientists, which means certain important part[s ] of the research, for example, debris left by ancient boats, might be ignored. {I don't know if a lack of professionalism is the main key, but more one of specialization - archeologists studying baskets are probably not experts in boats, and vice versa. }
For the above mentioned reasons, the conclusion drawn by the argument appears to be lame {"lame" in this context sounds very informal} and susceptible to criticism. If more solid proof can be presented with more logical elucidation to clarify the above questions, the argument may be more persuasive.

GRE Test Preparation — Improve your Score with 750 free GRE Vocabulary TestsGRE Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise GRE scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportGRE Practice Tests — Learn the most essential GRE vocabulary words you need to pass the GRE with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card system
(Argument 1) Are the baskets all made by the Paleans? #3 (permalink) Sun Jun 15, 2014 13:29 pm   (Argument 1) Are the baskets all made by the Paleans?

Thanks for your effort. I didn't even consider that the basket would drift.
Peterwu1988

ESL Forums | Preparation forum for the GRE® Test All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Latest topics on GRE Test Forums
understanding the most important characteristics of a societyResearchers should not limit their investigations to practical applicationGRE® essay Ability of human thinking may deteriorate with dependence on technologyTeachers' salaries should be based on their students' academic performance.reading tests please help me(Reading)Feminism and Black artistThe increased reliance on tech will cause the humans ability to think to deterior(Readings) ElectrideGRE® argument essay: Honor code systemGRE® issue essay: Nation greatnessGRE® argument essay: Should a company use Alpha or Zeta?Argument 71 essay: Letter to newspaper editor about traffic in Waymarsh(GRE® reading)Initially the Vinaver theory that Malory‘s eight romances...