property; site; area; grounds; building with the grounds belonging to it
track
buyer
engine
premises

Pure air vs. Clear air

Comparative Degree | As a matter of gliss
Pure air vs. Clear air #1 (permalink) Fri Oct 27, 2006 20:31 pm   Pure air vs. Clear air

Could you say, is there a difference between clear air and pure air?

Before I always considered (for no particular reason :)) that clear air refers to visibility aspect, its transparency, whereas pure air - to its freshness and suitability for breathe.

But now I've lost my great guiding rule... :) :(

No hunting, shooting or fishing for them, but walking and gardening and breathing in the clear air.

?
_________________
It’s impossible to learn swimming without entering the water…
Tamara

Cear air vs. pure air #2 (permalink) Fri Oct 27, 2006 22:18 pm   Cear air vs. pure air

Until a couple of minutes ago I'd have said that pure air is synonymous with clear air. But now, the more I think about it, the less sure I am! :?

Sorry for confusing you even more!

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Pure air vs. Clear air #3 (permalink) Fri Oct 27, 2006 22:24 pm   Pure air vs. Clear air

+ clean air

Sorry... :) :lol:
_________________
Tamara

Pure air vs. Clear air #4 (permalink) Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:58 am   Pure air vs. Clear air

2 cents from me :)
clear air - visible, transparent
clean air - suitable for breathing, not polluted
pure air - clear air
SkiIucK

Pure air vs. Clear air #5 (permalink) Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:32 am   Pure air vs. Clear air

Hi Tamara

Some rambling comments and thoughts from me: 8)

I've been asking myself whether saying "pure air" can/should be used at all since the word pure is so frequently used to indicate that something is made up of 100% of one element without any additional matter: pure gold.

But air doesn't ever consist of only one single element. I think I'd be more willing to say 'pure oxygen' than to say 'pure air'.

If you did say 'pure air' I would probably understand that you were trying to say that the air is not polluted.
But, as is often the case, it would probably also depend on the whole context.

_________________

Pure air vs. Clear air #6 (permalink) Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:35 am   Pure air vs. Clear air

Thank you, SkiIucK :)

And what about water, do you have a tuppence more for me? ;)

Hmm. I remember that once in Scotland, when we were visited Lock Lomond, my What (a) clear water! was corrected (with smiling) by 'Yes, pure water'. (Or… vise versa?… :) … my memory is like a sieve… :( )
_________________
Tamara

Pure air vs. Clear air #7 (permalink) Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:41 am   Pure air vs. Clear air

Thanks, Amy.

Can I ask you a favour? :)
BNC contains 12 sentences with pure air. Could you list (just list here their identifiers) those, in which use of the expression is 'not comfortable' to you?
_________________
Tamara

Pure air vs. Clear air #8 (permalink) Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:03 am   Pure air vs. Clear air

Hi Tamara,

I'll wade in here, if I may. It might help to turn these adjectives into abstract nouns: purity and clarity. Then you could tie these up with 'language'. You know how some people object to 'foreign' intrusions into their own language (mentioning no names) well they would talk about the purity of their language in the sense of unalloyed. Then there's clarity of language, a different kettle of fish, where you're talking about the clear way in which something is expressed.

Hope I've not muddied the waters with these comments!

_________________

Pure air vs. Clear air #9 (permalink) Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:11 am   Pure air vs. Clear air

Hi Alan,

Thank you for drawing the analogy (I adore the 'language=water' metaphor, you know :) )

OK.

...Sometimes I feel I need to take the waters (...at a spa) :)
_________________
Tamara

Pure air vs. Clear air #10 (permalink) Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:36 am   Pure air vs. Clear air

Hi Tamara

I've had a look at the bnc results for "pure air" and nearly all of them use this expression to talk about air that is free of pollutants.

_________________

'tongue-in-cheek': adj. or adv.?URGENT: Is it tautology?'Yes' or 'No' in the middle of a sentenceDifferente between before and afterFree-for-all: just my today's homework :)Use the expression "most probably"Your looks are laughable, unphotographable, Yet...Meaning of expression: let one's commentMailshot(s) = junk mail?Meaning of "Cutting Edge"'Climb up' versus 'Climb over'The use of 'as per': 'Enclosed is the shipment...'Sooner or later we will have to make a decision