tool for cutting consisting of a toothed blade; saying; maxim; proverb
incinerator
haze
legacy
saw

As a matter of gliss

Pure air vs. Clear air | Meaning of "out of hand"
As a matter of gliss #1 (permalink) Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:50 am   As a matter of gliss

Hi teachers,

My friend said that the phrase "as a matter of gliss" means "as a matter of joy" but I couldn't find the meaning of gliss yet. So, is my friend correct?

Does the word "gliss" exist in English?

Thanks in advance

Jupiter
Jupiter

Location: Cambodia

As a matter of gliss #2 (permalink) Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:55 am   As a matter of gliss

I am almost convinced that he mistyped "gliss" with "bliss", if you were communicating via Internet. However, there is a word for happiness and joy starting with "g"- "glee".
SkiIucK

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
As a matter of gliss #3 (permalink) Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:57 am   As a matter of gliss

jupiter wrote:
Does the word "gliss" exist in English?

I only know that in music area gliss is used as a shorten form of 'glissando'.

(Possibly, it can also informally be the shorten of 'glissade'?)

smooth gliss...
_________________
It’s impossible to learn swimming without entering the water…
Tamara

As a matter of gliss #4 (permalink) Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:37 am   As a matter of gliss

Hi SkiIucK and Tamara,

Thanks for your helpful reply.

I also thought it's a mistyped and I'll reassure him very soon.

Of course, I found that "gliss" is a short form of 'glissando' or maybe 'glissade' too, but I think it doesn't make sense to say "as a matter of gliss" at all.

Thanks again

Jupiter
Jupiter

Location: Cambodia

As a matter of gliss #5 (permalink) Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:55 am   As a matter of gliss

Hi Jupiter

I've never heard the expression or the word gliss (except that there is a company in Germany named "Gliss" :lol:).

_________________

'tongue-in-cheek': adj. or adv.?URGENT: Is it tautology?'Yes' or 'No' in the middle of a sentenceDifferente between before and afterFree-for-all: just my today's homework :)Use the expression "most probably"To check vs. to controlYour looks are laughable, unphotographable, Yet...Meaning of expression: let one's commentMailshot(s) = junk mail?Comparative DegreeMeaning of "Cutting Edge"'Climb up' versus 'Climb over'