show off; swash; shoot a line; brag; bluster; vaunt
tout
despise
grate
simulate

reading tests please help me

GRE Practice tests Increase your GRE test score with
plus 3.750 GRE word flash cards
ESL Forum | Preparation forum for the GREŽ Test
(Reading)Feminism and Black artist | Teachers' salaries should be based on their students' academic performance.
reading tests please help me #1 (permalink) Sun Jul 13, 2014 16:01 pm   reading tests please help me

Interested in neither money , fame, nor power , Socrats wandered through the streets of Athens in the 5the century BC. He wore a single rough woollen garment in all seasons and went barefoot. Talking to whoever would listen, he asked questions, criticized answers, and poked holes in faulty arguments. His style of conservation has been given the name Socratic dialogue . He was the first of the three great teachers of ancient Greece -the two being Plato and Aristotle. Today, he is ranked as one of the world's greatest moral teachers. His self-control and powers of efurance were unmatched. In appearence , the greeks of his day enjoyed being with him and talking with him and were fascinated by what he had to say. Socrats didn't write any books or papers. The details of his life and doctrine are preserved in the Memorabilia of the historian Xenophon and in the dialogues of the philosopher Plato . It was chiefly through Plato and Plato's brilliant disciple Aristotle that the influence of Socrats was passed on to succeeding generations of philosophers.

1. Socrats . . .
A. Was not at all interested in material things
B. Called his conversations Socratic dialogues Socratic diogues
C. Wore unattractive clothes and heavy sadals
D. Didn't point out others' mistakes plainly, but implicitly
2. After Socrates' death . . .
A. His doctrine was forgotten untill Plato revived it
B. Xenophon preserved his autobiography
C. Other phosphers ensured his continuing influence
I am having problems with these tests
Please help me !
My answers are D and B if there is any mistake please correct it and certainly with explanations
Biglittleboy

reading tests please help me #2 (permalink) Sun Jul 13, 2014 16:44 pm   reading tests please help me

1. A. Socrates was not at all interested in material things, as indicated by the very first sentence.
D is not correct. He 'criticised answers and poked holes in arguments' - both actions of someone clearly pointing out the mistakes of others.

2. B. You are correct.
_________________

GRE Test Preparation — Improve your Score with 750 free GRE Vocabulary TestsGRE Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise GRE scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportGRE Practice Tests — Learn the most essential GRE vocabulary words you need to pass the GRE with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card system
reading tests please help me #3 (permalink) Sun Jul 13, 2014 17:13 pm   reading tests please help me

thank you very much Bev !
as you see my reading skills isn't good
what should I do to develop my skills?
could you give me some good advice please?
Biglittleboy

reading tests please help me #4 (permalink) Sun Jul 13, 2014 21:37 pm   reading tests please help me

Read more, start with slightly easier texts and develop a good understanding of them.
_________________

ESL Forum | Preparation forum for the GREŽ Test All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Latest topics on GRE Test Forums
Issue - What should students base their study choices on?A strong template for the GREŽ Analytical WritingIncreased audience in a radio stationArgument (Weakening): Baskets were not found first by Paleans!To understand the characteristics of a society, one must study its major citiesThe difference between GREŽ and TOEFLŽ writing sectionsunderstanding the most important characteristics of a societyResearchers should not limit their investigations to practical applicationGREŽ essay Ability of human thinking may deteriorate with dependence on technologyThe increased reliance on tech will cause the humans ability to think to deterior(Readings) Electride(Reading) Pinnipeds, sea lions and walruses(Argument 1) Are the baskets all made by the Paleans?