process of breaking down a subject and studying it; examination
analysis
agreement
aspect
privilege

Differente between before and after

Expression: Perfectly well | URGENT: Is it tautology?
Differente between before and after #1 (permalink) Sat Oct 28, 2006 16:46 pm   Differente between before and after

Hello everyone my name's Luis.

I want to know what's the differente between before and after?

Can anyone tell me?
Tema
Tema

Differente between before and after #2 (permalink) Sat Oct 28, 2006 18:13 pm   Differente between before and after

Hi Luis and welcome to the forum.

Those two words are quite basic, but there are a number of ways to use them. Do you have a dictionary?

Do you have specific sentences that you find confusing?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/before
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/after

The following sentences illustrate a difference:

Today is Saturday.
The day before today was Friday.
The day after today is Sunday.

_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Differente between before and after #3 (permalink) Sat Oct 28, 2006 18:17 pm   Differente between before and after

... will be Sunday.

(just a 'logical' joke :) Sorry, couldn't resist... :))
_________________
It’s impossible to learn swimming without entering the water…
Tamara

Differente between before and after #4 (permalink) Sat Oct 28, 2006 19:46 pm   Differente between before and after

Psst... Tamara...

You're very observant and logical ... English isn't always quite as logical as we might like, is it? Imagine that! We often use present tenses to refer to the future. It's downright scandalous!

:lol:
_________________

Differente between before and after #5 (permalink) Sat Oct 28, 2006 19:55 pm   Differente between before and after

English isn't always quite as logical as we might like...
..and never will be, I am afraid... :)
:lol:
_________________
Tamara

Logical #6 (permalink) Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:18 am   Logical

"The day after today is Sunday'' is very logical, just as "Tomorrow is my birthday'' and "Next year is 2007" are very logical.

''...will be Sunday" is also very logical and correct, but native speakers will almost always use the fewest words possible to express their meaning.
Canadian45

Differente between before and after #7 (permalink) Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:08 am   Differente between before and after

Certainly, I meant 'logical' in the above sequence. Not taken in itself.

By the way, in my first language both saying ('Tomorrow is Monday' :) (normal use) and 'Tomorrow will be Monday') are possible and I understand the subtle difference in meaning. And the emphasis made in the second case ('will come' or something like that, with a flavour of hope :)
OR used in the meaning 'Tomorrow is (will be) ANOTHER day [...let's finish this work today]')
_________________
Tamara

Honest vs honourableHowever + inversion?Substituting 'everybody' (they or he/she?)'tongue-in-cheek': adj. or adv.?'To tie the knot' vs To knot the tie :)'Yes' or 'No' in the middle of a sentenceExpression: He had an egg for dinnerFree-for-all: just my today's homework :)Use the expression "most probably"To check vs. to controlAs a matter of glissYour looks are laughable, unphotographable, Yet...Pure air vs. Clear air