Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

percentage of profits paid to an artist for each copy of his work that is sold
drive
visibility
royalties
franchisor
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

antiphonal singing or duet?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
How to email college admissions office | What does fetch mean?
listening exercises
antiphonal singing or duet? #1 (permalink) Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:34 am   antiphonal singing or duet?

What is the difference between antiphonal singing and duet?

For example, Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston sang 'When you believe' together and The Papas and The Mamas 'California Dreaming'.

Is it appropriate to say that 'When you believe' or 'California Dreaming' is a duet?

Thanks a lot!!
Littleting
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

antiphonal singing or duet? #2 (permalink) Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:47 am   antiphonal singing or duet?

You are using the term 'antiphonal singing' out of the correct context. That term only applies to church liturgy, so it is incorrect to compare the difference between those two terms.

A duet is sung by two people, therefore you could say that 'When You Believe' is a duet.
The Mamas and the Papas were a larger group. You could refer to it as a quartet (song for 4 people), but usually it would not be referenced in this way.
Language Coach

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
antiphonal singing or duet? #3 (permalink) Tue Aug 19, 2014 15:03 pm   antiphonal singing or duet?

Got it. Thanks. I never knew the Mamas and the Papas were a Larger group. Thank you!
Littleting
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

How to email college admissions office | What does fetch mean?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Urgent need.It's about nounsIs there such an expression?Tip into recessionHe's looking for two pucks, what's he looking for exactly?I can lend you some money until the end of the monthWatercolor pen?Agreement and Disgreement.It's very hot: It's scorchingWhat is the difference between "end" and "end up"?'which of the names' vs. 'what of the names''it is not impossible' vs. "there's a possibility"Detached vs. separateWhat does it mean: ingredients