a subtle difference in meaning or opinion or attitude; shade; subtlety; refinement
nicety
frieze
skulduggery
grandeur

understanding the most important characteristics of a society

GRE Practice tests Increase your GRE test score with
plus 3.750 GRE word flash cards
ESL Forum | Preparation forum for the GREŽ Test
Researchers should not limit their investigations to practical application | The difference between GREŽ and TOEFLŽ writing sections
understanding the most important characteristics of a society #1 (permalink) Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:22 am   understanding the most important characteristics of a society

To understand the most important characteristics of a society, one must study its major cities.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

Does the major cities population reflect the main characteristics of a society? The people living in major cities have dissimilar opportunities and, consequently, different behavior that those living in minor cities. Therefore, studing the major cities, one might understand the society from that local.

An important characteristc of a society is its education level. Major cities tend to have more graduated people, because in those places there are more universities. On other hand, in small cities, there is less opportunities to people attend classes in a college or universities. In this case, most of the time, the people in this minor cities have to move to another city. But why the education level is an important feature of a society? It is because this reflects the kind of jobs the people will get. It means, in major cities, the people tends to work as professors, lawyers, doctors and so on.
Conversely, in minor cities, the people tends to work in industries or shopping assistants. Surely, it is not the only jobs, but is a tendency it occurs.

In addition, the life style in major and minor cities is different. In general, the people living in big cities are more stressed than those living in small cities, because of busy lifestyle in major cities. Usually, in big cities, the people spend more time to get home after work or school, due the hustle and bustle of the city. Thus, they are likely to have less spare time. Conversely, in minor cities, people have more time to spend with entertainment activities.

In conclusion, based on my previous arguments, the major cities does not reflect the characteristics of a society. The one that study its major cities will understand the characteristics from that society. In order to understand society as a whole, it is necessary study major and minor cities.
Nayara

Re: understanding the most important characteristics of a society #2 (permalink) Thu Sep 04, 2014 14:34 pm   Re: understanding the most important characteristics of a society

Hi Nayara, I thought your writing was pretty good in this one, but it did not seem very well organized. I don't think your thesis statement is very clear and your body paragraphs seem to have too limited of a scope. There is really no overall theme to tie the whole thing together, so much of the essay sounds a little rambling and disjointed to me.

Nayara wrote:

Does the major cities population reflect the main characteristics of a society? The people living in major cities have dissimilar opportunities and, consequently, different behavior that those living in minor cities.{"minor cities" sounds pretty odd} Therefore, studing the major cities, one might understand the society from that local[e ]

An important characterist[ic] of a society is its education level. Major cities tend to have more graduated people[college graduates], because in those places there are more universities. On other hand, in small cities, there is[are] less opportunities {or "is less opportunity" - opportunity can either be countable or non-countable} to [for] people [to] attend classes in a college or universit[y ]. In this case,{"in this case" is a little vague - maybe add "to get a good education" to the end of this sentence} most of the time, the people in this minor cities have to move to another city. But why [is] the education level is an important feature of a society? It is because this reflects the kind of jobs the people will get. It means, in major cities, the people tends to work as professors, lawyers, doctors and so on.
Conversely, in minor cities, the people tends[tend] to work in industr[y ] or shopping[as shop] assistants. Surely, it is [these are] not the only jobs, but is a tendency it [that] occurs.

In addition, the life style{one word} in major and minor cities is different. In general, the people living in big cities are more stressed than those living in small cities, because of [the] busy lifestyle in major cities. Usually, in big cities, the people spend more time to get home after work or school, due the hustle and bustle of the city. {well, really due to long commutes because of traffic and/or lack of affordable housing close the the city centre} Thus, they are likely to have less spare time. Conversely, in minor cities, people have more time to spend with [doing] entertainment activities.

In conclusion, based on my previous arguments, the major cities does not reflect the characteristics of a society. The one that study [who studies] its major cities will [only] understand the characteristics from that [of that part of ] society. In order to understand society as a whole, it is necessary [to] study [both] major and minor cities.

GRE Test Preparation — Improve your Score with 750 free GRE Vocabulary TestsGRE Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise GRE scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportGRE Practice Tests — Learn the most essential GRE vocabulary words you need to pass the GRE with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card system
ESL Forum | Preparation forum for the GREŽ Test All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Latest topics on GRE Test Forums
Reason for extinction of certain mammal species in the Kaliko IslandsCars as status symbolsThank you for helping me! I finally did it.OV1 reading mixed practice 1Issue - What should students base their study choices on?A strong template for the GREŽ Analytical WritingIncreased audience in a radio stationArgument (Weakening): Baskets were not found first by Paleans!To understand the characteristics of a society, one must study its major citiesGREŽ essay Ability of human thinking may deteriorate with dependence on technologyTeachers' salaries should be based on their students' academic performance.reading tests please help me(Reading)Feminism and Black artist